When shopping for a new kayak paddle, it's astounding how many options there are these days. The best kayak paddle for you is dependent on your style of kayaking and performance needs. Below are 10 of this year's best kayak paddles that cover everything from fiberglass kayak paddles to kayak fishing paddles to Greenland kayak paddles!
This year's best kayak paddles:
by: Pelican International
by: Backwater Paddle Company
by: Pelican International
Best Kayak Paddles of 2020
Kalleq - Gearlab's flagship paddle, Inuit name meaning Lightning. It is the lightest and strongest paddle in our line thanks to its seamless carbon fiber construction. Kalleq incorporates the best-available technology and latest design, offering the ultimate touring paddle experience.
- Slice With The Sharpest - Meticulously engineered, the thinnest part is merely 1.1 mm. Results in smooth and silent slices through water, in perfect serenity.
- Light & Strong - 220cm blade with 750 grams of seamless carbon fiber construction. No reinforcements, no joints, no nonsense.
- Original ProTek Tip - Gearlab's signature ProTek tip design offers worry-free rock dings, multiple tip colors, and loom extensions options. This easy user replaceable parts provides convenience and peace of mind.
- Ripstop Weave - Exclusive carbon fiber ripstop weave adds unique visual texture and depth only on the Kalleq.
- Diamond Joint - Patent pending full carbon fiber spring joint design snaps firmly and securely at your fingertip. No protrusions, no tools required. Most importantly, no wiggle room.
- Titanium - Only aerospace grade Titanium screws are used in Gearlab paddles. Sea water tested and rust proof. No details overlooked.
- 2 Piece - All Gearlab paddles are 2 piece snap design. They are easy to travel with and makes a great backup on the deck too.
The Tango Fiberglass’ multi-laminate fiberglass blades are truly hand-crafted using high-pressure compression molding, and they come in three hi-vis color options: Agua, Fuego, and Sunwave. Along with its all-carbon T-700 shaft, the Tango Fiberglass paddle has a super light swing weight yet is strong and very durable. The Tango Fiberglass is available in a 100% Carbon Posi-Lok® ferrule system which clicks into position firmly and securely. The Posi-Lok® features strong, corrosion-free construction, convenient dual-button release, and infinite feathering angles. Licensed Ferrule US Patent No. 6,881,11 The Tango Fiberglass is available in lengths from 210cm to 250cm in increments of 5cm.
Symbiosa Carbon Kayak Paddle
The Pelican SYMBIOSA CARBON paddle is a high-end touring paddle perfect for your next kayak adventure. This lightweight performance paddle is fully adjustable for a custom fit. It features a two piece carbon shaft, fiberglass reinforced nylon blades, drip rings, 360° blade angle adjustment and an integrated safety whistle.
Explore More Kayak Paddles:
The four-time Angler Paddle of the Year just got an upgrade. The new Angler Pro boasts all new patterns, designed by Bending Branches' ProStaff team. It's lighter than the previous generation of Angler Pro's, with larger blades for a more powerful stroke. The Angler Pro has a smooth forward stroke for effortless paddling.
The Angler Pro comes with either a snug-fitting 3 hole snap-button ferrule (adjustable for feathering angles 0° and 60°, L or R) or a more versatile telescoping ferrule with infinite feathering angles. If you have multiple boats (or if you can’t keep your Angler Pro out of other paddlers’ hands), the telescoping ferrule makes changing paddle length a breeze.
Angler Pro Features:
- The Angler Pro with a snap-button ferrule comes in sizes ranging from 220cm to
280cm, in 10cm increments
- With the Plus ferrule, the Angler Pro is available in adjustable lengths of 230-245cm and 240-255cm.
- The Bending Branches Angler Pro is proudly made in Osceola, Wisconsin.
- The Angler Pro has been named the Angler Paddle of the Year 6 times (2013-2018)
Gullwing Ergonomic Kayak Paddle
Why dig when you can glide? The Gullwing Ergonomic Kayak Paddle was designed for paddlers with back or shoulder issues, but has been enthusiastically received by a wide variety of paddlers. The innovative features of this paddle include angled blades that cut just below the water surface for glide rather than heavy dipping, changeable blades, bowed handle contoured like a kayak’s prow made of powder-coated aluminum for lightweight paddling and improved grip, and above all, an ergonomic design for hours of fatigue-free paddling.
Gullwing Ergonomic Features:
- Nylon/fiberglass blade for lightness, durability and extra power
- Ergonomic design permits hours of tireless paddling
- Reflective strip, front and back, for safety
- Curve bow handle for ergonomic comfort plus drip prevention
- Curved blades for enhanced strokes
- Angled, asymmetrically shaped blades carve out maximum water area for greater speed and straighter glide
- Powder-coated aluminum alloy handle for light weight and advantaged grip
- Paddle breaks down into three components for easy storage
- Snap on/off blade makes replacement easy
Assault Fishing Hand Paddle
The ASSAULT Kayak Fishing Hand Paddle allows you the opportunity to fish, photograph or hunt while moving your boat simultaneously! You DO NOT have to put your fishing rod or camera down and break out a seven foot paddle to move your boat a few yards to stalk your prey. Simply placing the ASSAULT Hand Paddle between your legs, or within easy reach, provides immediate access to a simple propulsion mode. You will never have to let loose of your fishing rod, camera, hunting gear or lose sight of moving prey. A few stealthy strokes from the ASSAULT and you are back on target.
Assault Fishing Hand Paddle Features:
- 100% guaranteed against breakage
The Akiak is the first modern shoulderless Greenland paddle with exchangeable tips. Inspired by the Inuit tradition of strengthening paddle tips with bone, walrus ivory, and harder wood, Akiak integrates durable polyamide tips with a carbon fiber paddle. The tip unites smoothly with the paddle to form a seamless paddle stroke.
- Exchangeable paddle tips provide extra protection for the fine tips of paddles.
- Sharp paddle blade edges provide crisp and precise paddling.
- A wider loom accommodates modern kayaks.
- The shoulderless design promotes smooth sliding strokes.
- The 2-piece design breaks down quickly for easy transportation and storage.
- The remarkably light paddle weight reduces fatigue on long paddling excursions.
- Carbon fiber blades create a slim profile that enters and exits the water quietly while adding buoyancy for a light stroke.
- A low-profile button release creates a sleek paddle shaft.
- The carbon fiber button never rusts.
- The high-quality, continuous-weave carbon fiber shaft delivers a superior strength-to-weight ratio.
- The symmetrical blade shape reduces torque.
- This allows the paddler to maintain a looser grip and pull the paddle smoothly through the water.
The Manta Ray Hybrid is built for high-angle paddlers, bigger boats, and paddlers looking for more power. With its all-carbon shaft and large, abXII fiberglass-reinforced blades, the Manta Ray Hybrid has a low swing weight and provides both comfort and power at a great price point. The Manta Ray Hybrid has two ferrule options. In addition to a snug 3-hole snap-button ferrule (0° to 60°, L and R feathering angles), this paddle also offers the Posi-Lok® ferrule system which clicks into position firmly and securely. The Posi-Lok® features strong, corrosion-free composite construction, convenient dual-button release, and infinite feathering angles.
Manta Ray Features:
- Comes in both 2-piece and 4-piece models
The Pelican POSEIDON paddle is a tool of choice for your next kayak adventure. Impact resistant, it features fiberglass reinforced polypropylene blades, a two-piece aluminum shaft , drip rings and 0 to 65 degree blade angle adjustment.
- All-purpose 2-piece aluminum shaft paddle
- Ovalized shaft and sleeve
- Drip rings and 0-65˚ angle adjustment
- Fiberglass reinforced polypropylene blade
The Horizon is designed for the paddler seeking a traditional Greenland style paddle. This paddle has a oversized oval loom that is approximately 17" long. The blades are 3 ½" wide at the tips and are about 35" to 38" long, depending on paddle length. Blades are Spruce and Santa Maria with a polyurethane tip and the shaft comes in Laminated spruce, walnut and ash.