Ray Special

Weight (oz)
$150
MSRP

Ray Special Description

This is the one that started it all. This was Ray Kettlewell's first innovative design which changed how we thought about paddles. The Ray Special is a well-balanced all-purpose paddle designed for lake paddling and ideal for canoe tripping as a whole. The Ray Special is more than just a beautiful paddle. It combines a well-proportioned blade with an appealing ratio between the blade and shaft lengths. Specials pair a shaft and blade of equal length. This results in a paddle with a longer than normal blade that is mechanically superior to other paddles. The long narrow blade which is 5" at its maximum width is designed to reach deep into the water providing greater leverage and force. This design results in the paddler taking fewer strokes to equal the distance covered by a shorter blade paddle. The paddle pulls the canoe through the water rather than pulling water past the canoe. The Ray Special is a great paddle for canoe tripping, lake paddling as well as paddling solo. The long blade provides a solo canoeist with greater reach and responsiveness. Although not for whitewater the Ray Special is great for all other paddling needs.

Ray Special Reviews

Read and submit reviews for the Ray Special.

• Wood Options: Cherry, Maple, or Ash

Fishell Paddles
Ray Special Reviews

Read reviews for the Ray Special by Fishell Paddles as submitted by your fellow paddlers. All of the reviews are created and written by paddlers like you, so be sure to submit your own review and be part of the community!

i am a guide in the…

Submitted by: paddler1692475 on 8/30/2021

i am a guide in the Adirondack park. I paddle daily for work.

This is my favorite paddle.

Beautiful. Efficient. Tough.

I was recommended fishell by a friend, after my 2nd bending branches (now called by local guides ‘breaking branches’) paddle broke apart for the season. My friend, showed me the beautiful Ash blade he purchased from fishell , as a solution to the forever issue of cheaply made paddles splintering then shattering with a mere scrape of a rock or glance off the bottom of a pond.

I now use this elegant wood blade in all canoe environments from pushing off the bottom (essentially poling) on water to shallow to paddle and too deep to walk, glass calm ponds, to technical class 3 whitewater.

Construction: Fishell’s paddles are cut from a single piece of top quality hardwood and thus are sturdy like a club with no weak points, unlike the many weakness found in a laminated sorftwood paddle. You can choose from 3 basic hardwoods. I prefer maple, for durability and some heft ( i prefer heft.) the cherry paddle i ordered is light like composite material, and stronger. The cherry compared to other blades is not a compromise like most assume about wood paddles. As for my friends white ash blade, it’s a good compromise between the cherry and the maple. Light and tough.

Beauty: Unbeatable. You can choose from 3 basic hardwoods or request specialty woods depending on availability. I just ordered a walnut paddle, it’s stunning. I order my girlfriend a cherry paddle. It’s sort dark red, and i swear i see it glowing once in a while, when the light hits it just right.

Performance: I ordered the ray special and i have not tried the quill or modified special. The ray special is made with an deep understanding of how a canoe actually works. The long blade allows for a deep, smooth and sturdy catch. The length also allows the majority of the power phase to happen beneath the paddler’s center of weight as it cuts in and under the canoe. Best of all, the narrow and long blade makes for a comfortable and efficient release/correction phase. The length provides leverage and ample surface area during the correction phase, so that paddlers can afford a subtly as it only takes very little pressure and angle to keep the canoe tracking straight. This is made even easy and more efficient by a power phase being inline with the paddlers center of weight, as very little correction is needed in the first place.

Not everyone is going to take this blade into whitewater, and to my want to keep around a cheap plastic blade as sacrifice from paddling through rocks and rapids. IF you take it into rapids, like any blade you do run the risk of damaging your gorgeous hardwood canoe paddle. BUT, if you do want to paddle a rapid with this blade then, it’s tough enough to handle a few runs. The most damage my maple paddle has taken is a wearing down of the varnish and the tip of the blade. It shallow water to will be mostly pushing with the paddle rather than paddling, this is when the paddle it most likely to break. In deep water rapids, this paddle provides a surprising amount of control and therefore confidence. Don’t kid yourself though, this is not whitewater kayak paddle meant for hucking yourself through wave trains and booking off drops. It’s a reliable sturdy wood canoe paddle that offers control on class 2 sometimes 3 rapids. But hey it’s canoeing so you shouldnt be launching through waves anyway, rather we canoeists will know that a slower more controlled approach works.

NOTICE, you will need to learn a bit about canoe technique to enjoy all the paddle has to offer. For example, if you simply put the blade in the water and pull straight back with the blade at a totally flat angle, you will not get enough power. However, if you are practicing a proper and smooth J stroke, while setting a roughly 10-15 degree cavitation, it will naturally direct you into an efficient powerful stroke.

Comfort: I recommend the leather wrap. It provides great grip and cuts down on blisters and hot spots. I choose the oil finish for the pommel. It feels great on my top hand and again rolls smoothly in my palm and cuts down on blisters. Also, it just feels right. Second, i chose maple ( the heaviest of the options) with proper technique the weight is negligible. Keeping the paddle’s pivot point sliding along the gunwals, I didn’t notice the weight, as the canoe essentially bore the weight for me as i refined my technique to accommodate a more elegant blade shape. I will say that the designer smartly tipped the balance of weight towards the blade side of the paddle. This means that all i really had to do during the catch phase was allow for the blade to drop into the water and really do the work for me. Also because the valence pulls the blade side down and the pommel side up, the blade naturally tracks straight through the water and guides you along it’s preferred path through the stroke. Simply beautiful.
Finally, the hardwood construction offers some flex. While stiffness = power transfer and flex= power loss, stiffness also equals shoulder pain and potential overuse injury if you dont have the shoulders of a NFL line backer. The slight flex as taken a lot of stress off my joints and tendons. However, if you a stiffer blade with a quicker power transfer try the cherry, its the best composite material match/alternative.

Conclusion: this is a great paddle, dont judge it too quickly, try one out at least once. If you order one customize it and make it your own. The performance matches the beauty, and it was more beautiful it person than i had hoped for when ordering.

Well done.

I own two Fishell paddles -…

Submitted by: guest-paddler on 8/2/2021

I own two Fishell paddles - the modified ottertail and the Ray Special. Both cherry. Prior to owning my Fishells, I paddled with a beaver tail made by another well know Canadian company. After paddling with my Fishells for almost a year, the beaver tail just sits on the rack.

I love the beauty of the wood that Greg uses, as each paddle is a work of art. The grip is a little smaller than what I was used to, but I now really like it. I use the modified ottertail when I’m going to be paddling in shallower water and the Ray Special when I’m in deeper water. Both of my paddles are oiled, and feel great. No blisters from these. The Ray Special has a long, narrow blade that digs deep and provides plenty of power. It pulls through the water easily without sacrificing power. Both of these paddles are easy on my shoulders. You cannot go wrong with a Fishell paddle. Get one and I guarantee you will love it.

Superb! Beautifully…

Submitted by: paddler1576886 on 6/23/2021

Superb!

Beautifully designed and fabricated.

Incredible service. Super simple to order, communicated to clarify instructions, safely packaged for shipping and rapid delivery.

Couldn’t ask for anything better.

I received my Fishell Walnut…

Submitted by: guest-paddler on 6/21/2021

I received my Fishell Walnut oil finished paddle. The skill and craftsmanship that Greg possesses is obvious in the design, balance, and feel of this paddle. A perfect work of art.

Curtis in Billings, MT

Hi all. My experience with…

Submitted by: paddler897172 on 11/13/2020
Hi all. My experience with Fishell paddles goes back multiple years as a counselor at a summer camp called Camp Hurontario on the Georgian Bay. For years Fishell has supplied our staff with customized paddles and I have greatly come to enjoy the relationship between our staff and the Fishell team. I have bought 2 ray specials over the years and both have exceeded my expectations of beauty, longevity, and performance. As well, I can not speak highly enough of the character of the Fishell team. Recently, my partner purchased an extremely old and roughed up Ray Kettlewell paddle for me as a gift and contacted Greg about potentially fixing it up. Greg did an exceptional restoration of the paddle and was happy to chat with me about the history of the paddle and maintenance tips. The service at Fishell in my experience has always gone above and beyond. Overall Fishell is a top tier option for your any paddlers custom paddle needs, and is run by an exceptional group of people.

I am purchased a cherry…

Submitted by: paddler893092 on 10/28/2020

I am purchased a cherry Special, with leather wrap, varnished blade, and oiled shaft. I am very happy with the paddle and my interactions with Greg.

The Special's blade is long enough to move a lot of water and narrow enough for underwater-recovery. I chose the length based upon the recommendations provided on the Fishell website, and it fits perfectly for both conventional and "Canadian" strokes.

Given the performance, fine craftsmanship, and strength of the paddle I purchased, I highly recommend Fishell paddles. When one considers the variety of woods and other options available, the included paddle sock, and the free shipping, Fishell really stands out among similar manufacturers.