Telos™ XL Load Assist Module

Telos™ XL Load Assist Module Description

The Telos™XL temporarily attaches to J-style carriers (DownLoader™ - J-Loader™ - AutoLoader™) and the SeaWing™ V-style carriers. This lift assist provides a safe way to vertically raise the kayak into a position where it can easily be loaded into the carriers. You can detach the Telos™ XL and use it on the other side of the vehicle to load your second kayak, or, store it in the trunk for unloading later. The new ground level adjustable extensions totally avoid contact with the vehicle's sheet metal. There is simply no other load assist on the market with this versatility or value. Comes with assembly tools, instructions and Malone Lifetime Limited Warranty.

Telos™ XL Load Assist Module Reviews

Read and submit reviews for the Telos™ XL Load Assist Module .

• Self-locking vertical ratchets for ensured safety
  • Adjustable bottom extensions with pivoting feet
  • Fully padded steel cradles help protect the kayak
  • Quick release detachment system to load a 2nd kayak
  • Sized to conveniently store in the trunk
  • Made in the USA
  • Lifetime Limited Warranty

• Sport/Activity: Kayaking, Canoeing

Where to Buy the Telos™ XL Load Assist Module

Malone Auto Racks
Telos™ XL Load Assist Module Reviews

Read reviews for the Telos™ XL Load Assist Module by Malone Auto Racks as submitted by your fellow paddlers. All of the reviews are created and written by paddlers like you, so be sure to submit your own review and be part of the community!

I recently added the...

I recently added the Extension Kit to my Telos Lift Assist. The original was good if your vehicle had a body shape that worked with the suction cup attachments - mine did. When I got a new vehicle I was not sure how the Telos lift assist was going to work on the curvy body of the new vehicle. So I purchased the Extension kit that uses the ground surface for the bottom mounts (watch their videos to understand how it works). It makes loading heavy kayaks by one person a reasonable option. If you frequently load kayaks without the help of two tall strong friends you should invest in one of these. It is cheaper than replacing the nice kayak you dropped and broke trying to lift a boat by yourself.

Can't lift the kayak into the supports.

I thought because I'm just 5ft this was the answer. Now I have a very expensive toy that I can't use.

I can't rate this because I can't lift the kayak into the cradles, so I don't know if it works

This is much more trouble...

This is much more trouble than it's worth - easier to just lift the boat onto the car. Interestingly, when we opened the box, there was a return slip inside that said essentially the same thing!

New user of the Telos...

New user of the Telos but if you read the other reviews you have all you need to know. To touch on those points:

Once in the cradles you still need to lift the BOAT not the slide mechanism, this is easy to do because the other rack holds the weight, then shift to the opposite rack and raise it. I probably swap sides 4-5 times to get the boat to the top. I drive a Honda Ridgeline and my racks don't go very far apart so hold on to your boat just in case, the higher you try to raise it at one time the more likely it is to slide off the racks. It isn't a big deal with a 10' boat but when I load my 14' that is something to watch.

As said, fold your mirror in if you can. It will be in the way and if you have painted mirrors they are gonna get scratched.

Definitely place suction cups in areas that are reinforced or like a panel bend where there is strength.

These are well worth the money to save your back. I find the older I get the harder things get and quickly.

I have used Telos Lift...

I have used Telos Lift Assists w/ Malone Downloaders for a couple of years. They are an effective way to move larger boats onto a car roof without loading 'over the rear'. There are a few issues to be aware of-none fatal.

1. They're meant to 'hold' a boat as it's being raised or lowered-you're still going to be doing the lifting - but with far less drama and far better physics.

2. The aluminum track vs. the plastic slide expand/contract in temperatures at different rates... The slides can get quite balky in cold weather.

3. Making sure the tracks are plumb and the suction cups are in 'reinforced' locations may involve readjusting normal cross bar positions and shimming the rack if your roof isn't flat. When I use them, they do collect curious onlookers.

I've had the Telos load...

I've had the Telos load assist system for about 4 years now and currently load my 60+ pound sea kayak into Malone Autoloader Xv J-cradles on our 2014 Subaru Forester. I found years ago that it helps to use a folding Rubber Maid stool, which I keep in the car. This allows me the height I need to thread the retaining straps and for the final push or pull that is required to get the boat in or out or the J-cradles. It takes a little finesse, but with being over 60 it saves on my back and shoulders. I usually place my kayak on the driver side of the car, so I always fold in the driver's side mirror before I start the load/unload process.

If I have any complaint it's that the Telos takes up a bit of storage space in my vehicle. I generally end up storing it in our roof box. The user needs to take some care in wiping off the areas on body panels where the Telos suctions cups will go. That will eliminate scratches. You also need the set the placement of the suctions cups so they fall near an edge or contour on a body panel. This is where the panel is most ridged. If you simply place a suction cup in the middle of a thin body panel that can lead to the denting that has happened to some owners.

I use the Telos Lift...

I use the Telos Lift Assist to load two kayaks onto my vehicle. I currently have a Subaru Outback but. until recently, I was loading kayaks onto my Ford Explorer. The first set of kayaks were Native Watercraft Redfish 12's. They weighed over 60 pounds each and they were a struggle for two people to load onto the Explorer. With the Telos system, loading is a snap and I can do it myself (no husband required). You do need to pair the Telos with a Malone Downloader, Jloader or AutoLoader kayak rack. We have the Downloader which I have reviewed separately.

We considered getting the Thule Hullivator, but to put two hullivators on the roof adds a lot of weight. If you are loading two kayaks, you need two. With the Telos, you only need one loader because you just move it to the other side of the car when you need it.

Every time I use it, people ask me about it. One of the ratchet springs on one of the arms came loose and got mangled. I called Malone for a part and with their usual great customer service, they sent me an entire new arm assembly for free.
Love Malone products and Malone customer service!!

Telos™ XL Load Assist Module