How to SUP Smooth and Efficient
Rob Stehlik from Blue Planet Surf teaches you how to paddle more efficiently with a smooth catch and a clean release.
Tips for a smooth catch
- At the beginning of the stroke, you want to get a nice smooth catch by spearing your blade forward into the water, getting the whole blade into the water without splashing. Kind of like spearfishing.
- You want to avoid splashing the paddle down into the water and just pulling the blade down because that creates a lot of the bubbles and is inefficient.
- Ideally you want to plant your blade by spearing it and pushing it down into the water smoothly. Get the whole blade planted and then pull on it.
Tips for a smooth release
- End your stroke by your feet and slide the paddle out smoothly without creating a lot of splash.
- Avoid ending your stroke too far back and throwing water behind you.
Subscribe to Blue Planet Surf on Youtube for more stand up paddling videos!
Engaging your core muscles while stand up paddling allows you to paddle more efficiently for longer…
This Point Of View account shows the importance of staying sober while paddling. Some of the most…