Rio Description

The Rio is designed for the smaller-framed paddler looking for a recreational style kayak with spirited performance and nimble handling. At just under 12 feet in length and only 35 pounds, the Rio combines comfortable stability with a playful and efficient hull. While ready for the first time paddler, the Rio will soon tempt you to experiment with more advanced paddle strokes.

Rio Reviews

Read and submit reviews for the Rio.

Rio Specifications

• Length: 11' 9"
  • Width: 24"
  • Volume: 263 liters
  • Cockpit Dimensions (L × W): 31.75 × 15.50"
  • Deck Height: 12"
  • Primary Material: Thermoform ABS Plastic

Carbonlite looks and performs like fiberglass with clear advantages over other plastics: lighter weight, hard glossy finish, excellent abrasion and impact resistance, superior UV protection, dimensional stability, and increased stiffness. Tough, easy to repair, and 100% recyclable!

Rio Features

• Cockpit Type: Sit Inside
  • Hull Shape: V-Bottom
  • Chine: Hard
  • Storage: Bow Hatch, Stern Hatch
  • Bulkheads: Stern, Bow

• Activity Type: Recreation
  • Water Type: Flat/Sheltered Water, Open Water/Ocean, River/Creek (Up to Class II)
  • Duration: Day Trip
  • Ideal Paddler Size: Smaller Adult/Child, Average Adult

Where to Buy the Rio

Eddyline Kayaks
Rio Reviews

Read reviews for the Rio by Eddyline Kayaks as submitted by your fellow paddlers. All of the reviews are created and written by paddlers like you, so be sure to submit your own review and be part of the community!

Wow! What a great kayak...

Wow! What a great kayak for the smaller paddler. Touring kayak feel in a smaller more manageable size. (11'9"). 1st off, it's BEAUTIFUL!! 2. It is agile and the bow/stern rocker allows for more maneuverability, so it is a great boat to take on rivers, too. 3. Very stable. Fabulous secondary stability! 4. LOTS of storage for a boat this size. 5. comfortable seat back - padded band-style. 6. Easy to adjust foot pegs, while out on the water. (No need to crawl inside your boat to adjust- hand levers make it easy). 7. Perfect for the smaller paddler, the 24" beam allows for better paddle placement. (no need to reach over so far to place the paddle in the water. 8. The Thermoform ABS construction means that is is light enough to carry (35lbs.) 9. Can carry up to 270 lbs. so a 120 lb. paddler can carry about 150 lbs worth of gear, (if you had to! ;-)

I am 5'3, 125lb and most boats are too wide to fit me. This is the perfect fit. I LOVE it!

Love the Rio.

Most of my paddling is on small rivers and creeks filled with obstructions that were tearing up my composite boat (CD Vision 130), so I began looking for a lightweight thermoformed boat. The Rio is perfect for my needs. It is lightweight (35 lbs., according to Eddyline), nimble, quick and tracks beautifully. I’m 5’10” and 160 lbs. with a 29-inch inseam, and the boat fits me perfectly. If you’re much larger — definitely, if you have a longer inseam — this might not be the boat for you. Like all Eddyline boats I’ve seen, the finish and fit of the Rio are beautiful.

I just tried the Rio kayak...

I just tried the Rio kayak from Eddyline this week. Wow! This is a beauty and fast. Very fast, light and maneuverable from a company known for their high quality kayak construction and innovative building techniques using a Carbonlite 2000 Thermoform Composite.

Here's what I especially like about the RIO. it weighs 35 pounds. Yep! Only three pounds above our Sky 10 kayaks that we currently own. That's a nearly 12 foot boat vs. a 10 footer (SKY). It's a bit narrow and built for smaller and lighter kayakers such as my wife who is 5'4" and weighs 125 pounds. It moves with incredible ease and speed. So, for us, a no-brainer. We are selling a SKY 10 and buying the Rio for my wife. It's a bit pricey, but I was able to buy it on the Fall sale at our local kayak shop. We are approaching our 80's now, so weight is a factor. Yet, we didn't want to lose out on performance. So, the RIO fits the bill for lakes, rivers and small bays. Plus, it's small and light enough to fit in our apartment in the off season.

We plan to spend the winter on Conception Bay in the Sea of Cortez (Baja California). So along with a RAM Promaster Van that we are converting into a camper, we should be all set for the next five years of kayaking. My own preferred kayak is a 13 foot Necky Manitou which weighs around 45 pounds. I am keeping my Sky 10 for local trips because it's very light and will fit inside our new van.