NightQuest Deck Compass

by Seattle Sports

As I am at a mid range kayak (P&H Cappella) in my…

As I am at a mid range kayak (P&H Cappella) in my paddling I didn't want to install a permanent compass yet. The Seattle Sports NightQuest Deck Compass is a great compass and performs professional and flawlessly. It gives a great bang for the buck. Because it is portable my wife and I can exchange from my boats to hers for are navigation training for Canadain kayak certification.

The only one downfall to this compass is the battery for night navigation. It is a specialty battery and can only be bought online. It is pricey at 15$ plus shipping plus taxes. But all in all I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this compass to any one who asked.

I was skeptical, but based on a positive review, I bought this…

I was skeptical, but based on a positive review, I bought this compass. I love this thing!
Let me first say that I probably have 2 or 3 Suunto 'Orcas' laying around that I have happily used for years. This compass is WAY better than the Orca in just about every way... and it's $10 less. It has both a bungee tie down and a big suction cup for a secure fit. It does stand a little taller than the Orca, so it is a little more prone to getting knocked around. However, the taller stance is a real unexpected plus. You can mount it a little closer to the cockpit for easy reading without it becoming hidden behind your deck-top bag, etc.

The text is much larger and clearer than the Orca. It also includes N, E, W, S and even NE, SW, NW and SE text... much easier and quicker to read and get your bearings. It also has a built-in light and sensor that, when activated, comes on automatically when it gets dark and goes off when it gets light. It's a great compass for a great price.