Islay 14LV Reviews

Read reviews for the Islay 14LV by Venture Kayaks as submitted by your fellow paddlers. All of the reviews are created and written by paddlers like you, so be sure to submit your own review and be part of the community!

Nice kayak but I found the...

Nice kayak but I found the high seat back problematic in getting a spray skirt on and I had one dangerous issue with the seat while practicing self rescues. The seat back is always folding down when trying to enter the cockpit. During a wet exit and self rescue practice I entered the cock pit during a self rescue and as I slip into the cockpit the seat folded down. Usually it ends up under me and I have to exit the kayak to bring the seat back to the up position. This time it folded down and wedged me into the from of the kayak at and angle. I couldn't move and I couldn't reach the paddle behind me and the kayak wanted to roll. I was pretty scared because I would not be able to exit the cockpit should I roll. I yelled for help and an instructor came over and he attempted to get the seat back up with no luck. They got me to the side of the practice pool and 2 men grabbed my arms and shoulders and with their legs on the kayak, pried me out of the cockpit. The seat is comfortable but I would recommend getting the shorter sport seat. I am trying to locate one but have bneen unsuccessful so far.