PN-30 (GPS) Reviews

Read reviews for the PN-30 (GPS) by Delorme as submitted by your fellow paddlers. All of the reviews are created and written by paddlers like you, so be sure to submit your own review and be part of the community!

Got a used one of these on...

Got a used one of these on ebay about a year ago. The unit seems well built and feels like it will hold up for years to come. The screen is a bit small, but the price was right. If you have not used mapping software before you might find this unit a little too complicated and I would suggest a ready to go unit from Garmen.

Just returned from Trinity Alps, CA were the PN-30 really shone! One thing…

Just returned from Trinity Alps, CA were the PN-30 really shone!
One thing I did find is that while I downloaded all of the "Color Aerial Imagery", the plain old USGS Quads 3DTQ maps paired with flag markers were MUCH more handy when you are on the water.

Scouting the rapids before by land then flagging the hazards made navigation more fun.
FYI I used the strap to wrap it to the thwart and left the unit on the floor of the canoe in the rapids and left it balanced on the thwart on flat water.

The unit gets a 10 however the 8 reflects how long it takes to download maps via Topo 8 and the super slow map server Delorme have.

I love this GPS! I have...

I love this GPS! I have been using it for two years with no issues. It's waterproof & supposedly floats when used with Lithium batteries. I have tested this is a tub of water & found this to be accurate, however I "built" my own float bag. I purchased an electronics dry bag & put fishing bobbers in it so it's going to float. Also this helps fight oxidation from the salt water.