DIY: Retrofit SUP with Handle
This video shows how to retrofit a Stand Up Paddleboard with a patented SUP Grip handle to make it easy to carry and secure the board.
Please Note: this installation is recommended only for those with some experience in epoxy board construction and repair and using a router.
Here are the installation steps:
- Find balance point of board, make sure to account for the weight of the fin and leash
- Mark the bottom of the box and set the plunge router to the depth of the box with flange.
- Use a 1/2" diameter bit with a minimum of 2" depth to router the box opening (the box is 1 ¾" deep)
- Mark the flange outline
- Router the flange depth around the box
- sand around opening
- Install box with thickened slow curing resin
- glass over box
- after curing cut excess glass with a razor blade and sand smooth, add finish coat
- apply deck pad over handle and cut out openings with razor blade
For more information on the SUPGrip handle, visit: