• MSRP

This Product Has Been Discontinued

Redfish 12 Description

Redfish 12 Reviews

Read and submit reviews for the Redfish 12.

Native Watercraft
Redfish 12 Reviews

Read reviews for the Redfish 12 by Native Watercraft as submitted by your fellow paddlers. All of the reviews are created and written by paddlers like you, so be sure to submit your own review and be part of the community!

I have had my Native...

I have had my Native Watercraft Redfish 12 for over a year and have been very happy with it. It is not the angler version but does have 1 flush mount rod holder behind the seat - so in a pinch does double duty, but it is mainly used for wildlife viewing. I use it in the Indian River Lagoon and the ocean, it has been on used on calm flat water and in rough chop,

Pros:
It is roomy and has great initial and secondary stability. Because I have a bad hip, I enter and exit in knee deep water and this boat barely moves, it is that stable. In chop and current, it also maintains very good stability.

It's roomy and has plenty of storage. I have even paddled with a 10 year old in the back - I rigged a jumpseat facing the stern - with no problems. The hatch covers work well and stay closed

Native does a good job adding the little extras that don't come with other kayaks. Scupper plug are attached with keepers, Hatch lids and small hatch insert also have keepers, and it comes with a taco style paddle clip. Luggage style handles in bow, stern and sides are included. The addition of at least 1 flush mount rod holder means I can rig a visibility or dive flag, or a light for night paddling.

It paddles pretty well. It is never going to be as good as a nice transitional or touring kayak, but as sit on tops go, it is one of the best. It won't kill you to do a 5 or 6 mile paddle.

I keep my scupper plugs in and collect a little water, but the seat stays dry.

Cons:
The biggest negative is of course, the weight. At 65 pounds, I cannot load the kayak by myself. Loading difficulty is also affected by the side handles. Although good quality, they are not positioned correctly and balance is way off. You can use them to tip out water, but for lifting the kayak into a rack or loader, they are terrible. You need two people to manage this kayak for loading.

The small rear hatch is misplaced. It is great to have a small watertight hatch like this for small items like a phone or camera, but why put it directly behind the seat. Good touring kayaks put this hatch off center behind the seat, so you can reach it. I realize the centered placement allows for two flush mount rod holders on either side behind the seat - But this is not the Angler model!

The Redfish paddles great upwind but downwind it weathercocks. Mine does not have a rudder but they are rudder ready and it needs one.

In summary a great kayak for both tooling around and fishing. At 65 pounds it's not the heaviest fishing yak out there but if you are going solo it can be a problem Great fit and finish, excellent stability.