Read reviews for the IK-140 by Stearns as submitted by your fellow paddlers. All of the reviews are created and written by paddlers like you, so be sure to submit your own review and be part of the community!
Adding to what's already been written below:
1. Cabelas.com is selling the IK 140 for $320.
2. I have two young children, and the Kayak is great for touring around lakes with them. We could probably squeeze my wife in too, but that would be very tight. I'm thinking to buy another IK 140 (or maybe a hard shell single) so that we can all be out on the water safely and comfortably.
3. I can confirm that the kayak does track very well, and does not get blown off course in a 10 knot wind.
4. It is a bumpy in 2' waves.
5. The ride is damp, as a lot of paddle splash gets in the boat.
6. The boat is not as slow as I'd be led to believe. Then again, it does take constant work to stay moving. And in that 10 knot wind and choppy 2' waves, you get a real workout.
7. This boat is great fun, and well worth the money spent. Was camping this past weekend, and my friends, family and I had a great time.
8. The space savings from the ability to fold up the kayak is nice. But for car travel, there is still the life vests and paddles that now have to be stored. One attraction of the IK was no car rack...but now I feel the need for an above car rack to store the extra gear. Gear which may have fit in the hardshell.
That aside, this is a very comfortable and versatile ride. It even served me this summer on a 3 day/2 night float down the Missouri R. in Montana. That was with a passenger and a ton of beer -uh, gear.
Tacking on this model is excellent and it has all the speed you would expect from an IK in this price range, which is to say, not much. That said, if you want to get out on the water in comfort and bring someone along to enjoy the fun, this IK is hard to beat.