Naia

by Seaward Kayaks

So that I could enjoy kayaking with my family, I purchased a…

So that I could enjoy kayaking with my family, I purchased a tandem (Current Designs Libra XT). In order that all of us could go out on the water at the same time, I sought another tandem, and found a Seaward Naia.

Being four feet shorter than the Libra XT, the paddlers sit much closer together, making it easier to talk to each other, but also easier to clang paddles when paddling out of synchronization. (Hint to all husbands: I sit in the rear, so that if I am paddling with the wife and she gets angry, she can't whack me with the paddle.)

Seaward uses a suspended steering system (as opposed to a sliding peg system). I think I like the suspension system a bit better, with the exception that it is a little difficult getting my size 12s into the respective foot saddles when I am first getting in the boat.

The Naia is very stable and fast when we aren't clanging paddles. The construction is fabulous.

It has the advantage over the Libra XT in that it is a lighter and shorter tandem, and easier to handle getting on and off my car and into storage. I also can use it as a single when I need to get out by myself.

Like the Libra XT I give it a ten...