Pro SI 109

by Ocean Kayak

I have had my kayak for since 1999 and it has been…

I have had my kayak for since 1999 and it has been one of the best investments of my life. I have been down the Pecos River from Pandale, Texas all the way to the high bridge, which is around 57 miles of pretty rough river. We take this trip every year and so far my kayak is the only one that has made every trip. The year before last my husband had to put a Kevlar kit on the nose and rear because it was wearing a little thin.

I was disappointed to learn that the Pro series was no longer being manufactured. I guess I will have to get something else eventually although after seeing how all the other kayaks have done on the trip I am reluctant to try other brands of kayaks. I guess I will have to go back to canoes with my husband.

It would really be great if Old Town would start producing a kayak like the Pro Series that Ocean Kayak used to make. The hatches on these make it easy to store all your supplies for long trips and keep everything dry and secure through rapids and roll-overs. I am speaking from experience on both accounts.

This is a sturdy craft and easily maneuverable. I am sad…

This is a sturdy craft and easily maneuverable. I am sad to see that it has been discontinued by O-K. I have had this kayak for nearly three years and have used it in large windswept lakes here in Oklahoma, and in several rivers; most notably the Buffalo National River in Arkansas. This kayak tracks well in all conditions I have encountered considering is length. I have not found a creek I cannot squeeze into and turn around in. I will admit that I wear the spray skirt almost all the time since leaning over a bit too far in a shallow river and filled the kayak up. Thank goodness I was only in knee deep water and that it was summer. Beached the old girl and pumped her out and was back on the water lickity split. I think I would like to try a SOT next, not as hot in the summer.