Explorer Ultralite

by Mad River

I enjoy my Mad River Canoe (LT16). As an avid fisherman…

I enjoy my Mad River Canoe (LT16). As an avid fisherman and amateur outdoorsman, I enjoy the peace and serenity of nature. These canoes allow me to get into tight channels and explore those creeks and winding channels and bogs that a normal motor boat cannot traverse. Fish love to hide and the Mad River canoes allow you to seek and find these friends of the fin... because the last thing you want that perch, Walleye, bluegill, bass, or salmon to see is the familiar v shaped hull of a Mad River canoe overhead before he strikes your lure.
Many happy adventures await you, so get out there and launch a Mad River Canoe right now, whatcha waiting for???

As an explorer/adventurer/writer, the Mad River Explorer has saved my life many times. It is un-sinkable, insulated with a foam core for cold water, and pretty with the blond ash gunnels. I studied for months before buying her, getting the right rocker and this one went on many ocean, white-water, back-creek adventures without fail. This is one tough canoe I could sell all day long.

This is a great all around canoe, especially if you plan to…

This is a great all around canoe, especially if you plan to paddle on rivers with any sort of rapids. I have had the 16 LT for about 4 months now and have primarily used it on Texas rivers with Class 1 and 2 rapids with lots of flat water in between.

This design strikes a perfect balance between maneuverability, stability, and tracking. It's got enough rocker to execute turns in rapids, yet with decent paddling skills it will cruise nicely on flat water. It's just as stable as other canoes in this class, such as the Old Town Discovery, but is much more nimble in tight areas and rapids. Obviously the extra rocker (which makes it more maneuverable) makes paddling in a straight line a bit more difficult, but I find it is easy to keep tracking straight with minimal "J" strokes.

If you were looking to buy a canoe for flat water only, then you might consider something with less rocker. If you plan to do a little bit of everything, this is an excellent canoe. It's great for loading up with gear, kids, and dogs for a day on the river.