Townsend 16 Reviews

Read reviews for the Townsend 16 by Jem Watercraft as submitted by your fellow paddlers. All of the reviews are created and written by paddlers like you, so be sure to submit your own review and be part of the community!

My winter project was to...

My winter project was to build a recreational canoe for my family and me to use this up coming summer for camping and fishing trips.

I wanted a light weight and stable canoe that was easy to build using the stitch and glue method of construction.

I had found Matt at Jem Watercraft through a paddling web site and chose his Townsend plan to build. After some discussions with Matt, I settled on modifying his existing plan to stretch the Townsend to 16' long. I sent in my order and a week later I had my plans. The plans were excellent very easy to follow and every thing fit together perfectly. Construction went smoothly and if I had a question Matt was always there to help with advice if I needed it. I did notice that it took me a bit longer than Jems estimate to complete the boat but I think I did a bit more work on the railings, breast hooks, and seats than the plans required.

Finally in April I finished and had the first launching. I couldn't have been happier the Townsend is a great canoe. It is light stable and fast. It turns easily and handles rough water well. It tracks pretty well without a keel but it does have some leeway in 15mph+ winds on the beam. A keel would help tracking but would also hang up on logs and rocks so I don't think I would add one.

The Townsend also catches fish my son and I picked up 20 bass including one that pushed 5lb. in a 1-1/2 hour fishing trip at a local lake it was blowing 15-20 mph and we had to make a rock anchor to hold us in place so we could cast. If that isn't a "10" I don’t know what is!

If you are looking for a canoe to build you can't go wrong with the Townsend or with Jem Watercraft both are winners.