16-6 Saugeen

by Bluewater Canoes

I bought a Bluewater Saugeen 16'6" about 35 years ago, one of…

I bought a Bluewater Saugeen 16'6" about 35 years ago, one of the original light nylon kevlar layups weighing about 48 lbs. This canoe has been terrific and holds many wonderful memories traveling lakes, paddling meandering rivers with overhanging trees, passing singing gravel beds and running standing rapids - feeling the splash of water on my thighs as Grey Owl might say.

This old Bluewater has travelled many of Grey Owl's favorite Canadian shield rivers fondly told of in the books by this popular Canadian environmentalist in the early part of the last century. It has been a true best all-purpose canoe that has carried my wife and I on day to week long trips. The canoe has been a part of my family, helped share our enjoyment of canoeing with our young kids who now in turn grown up take it out on trips of their own. It has been shared with friends who have ensured many more memories.

The original wood gunnels and cane seats have been refurbished and the hull has the markings of the many years of use including the knocks received from rocks in rapids. Still it remains a beautiful canoe to handle and receives many compliments.

My boyfriend and I got our new Saugeen 16/6 from Bluewater canoes…

My boyfriend and I got our new Saugeen 16/6 from Bluewater canoes about 6 weeks ago. We researched extensively before we made this choice and are thrilled with our choice. We went with the Golden Brawn lay-up which is an ultra-light layup of kevlar, s-glass, and a secret layer with epoxy resin. The canoe weighs in at only 41 lbs. and has been "a pleasure to portage", as my boyfriend says. We have banged her up on some hidden rocks while canoeing at speed and she tolerates it easily. Also, the golden brawn colour shows no scratches unless you look VERY closely!

We've used the canoe on about 10+ trips, on rivers (not whitewater), large lakes and small lakes so far and she is a joy to paddle - very fast, tracks well, also very quiet and feels effortless to paddle. The deep dish yoke is really comfortable as well. We love this canoe, and look forward to having her for many years to come.

My only reason for giving this canoe a 9 out of 10 is because of some cosmetic flaws which are minor and do not effect to function of the canoe (bow thwart slightly crooked, and small area where the kevlar/epoxy material wasn't smoothed out completely). We highly recommend this canoe!!