Thresher 140

Weight (lb)
$1,449
MSRP

Thresher 140 Description

The Thresher 140 is a kayak brought to you by Wilderness Systems. Read Thresher 140 reviews or submit your own review to share with the paddling community. Check out a few other kayak recommendations below or explore all kayaks to find the perfect one for you!

Thresher 140 Reviews

Read and submit reviews for the Thresher 140.

Wilderness Systems
Thresher 140 Reviews

Read reviews for the Thresher 140 by Wilderness Systems as submitted by your fellow paddlers. All of the reviews are created and written by paddlers like you, so be sure to submit your own review and be part of the community!

I've owned a Thresher 140 for…

Submitted by: SoggyMariner on 8/3/2020
I've owned a Thresher 140 for a little over a year. I've launched it off the beach on the west coast of Washington state a few times, I've had in it Puget Sound, half a dozen rivers, and a bunch of lakes, big and small. Before the Thresher 140 I owned a Tarpon 120 for many years. I loved that kayak, but I sold it because I needed to slim down my kayak collection to only a couple (down from about 12, although most were sit-inside touring.) The reason I kept the Thresher over the others is because it loves to climb over everything. This boat has a lot of rocker. Where the Tarpon mostly wanted to pierce through waves, the Thresher will climb and even surf a bit. It feels safer and more stable. For this it sacrifices some speed. The Tarpon feels like it glides, where the Thresher plows the water more. I'd prefer the Tarpon if I were mostly out on calmer days, or had more money and space for kayaks. If you're interested in the Thresher 140 definitely try and test paddle the Tarpon series also. They have different gear accommodations, but after paddling them both you may find that those don't matter quite as much. All in all it's a well built kayak, designed with a purpose. If your reason to buy this kayak doesn't include beach launching or some rough big waters, I'd say there are better options. For the mission it was built, I'd give it 5/5. Although I don't like that the blow-molded Flex Pod OS doesn't have a gasket. If you flip or practice re-entries that thing fills with water.