Excursion 140

• MSRP

This Product Has Been Discontinued

Excursion 140 Description

Excursion 140 Reviews

Read and submit reviews for the Excursion 140.

Excursion 140 Specifications

Hurricane Kayaks
Excursion 140 Reviews

Read reviews for the Excursion 140 by Hurricane Kayaks as submitted by your fellow paddlers. All of the reviews are created and written by paddlers like you, so be sure to submit your own review and be part of the community!

I am new to kayaking and...

I am new to kayaking and received the Hurricane Excursion kayak for Christmas last year. After reviewing many kayaks I selected this one for its light weight design and quality. I have used it in lakes and rivers and found it fun and easy to use. The bulkheads at the bow and stern are great for flotation, as well as, storage. In addition, there are bungees on both the bow and stern. Knee pads and adjustable foot pedals make rowing a breeze. Comfortable and adjustable seating are a plus. There are grab handles for easier carrying. Optional rudder is available, but I found it works great without this option. This kayak glides smoothly in calm waters, as well as waves. Turning is easy to do with the Excursion. I would recommend this kayak to anyone who likes to enjoy the sport and the peaceful, relaxing scenery.

After a summer of paddling...

After a summer of paddling short, hapless rotomolds, I may not be the best judge of any boat over 12 feet, as any one of them feels like a chariot of the gods right now. However, I did get a chance to check out the Excursion 140 at a local demo day, and I was impressed.

Hurricane has gotten a bad rap for the flexibility of its thermoform material. I admit, I did not like having the edges of the cockpit flex as I lowered myself into it. But these boats aren't really designed for dodging rocks off the coast of Maine. What they are good for is touring and hauling camping gear around languid Mid-Atlantic estuaries.

And they are fast off the line. While the Excursion might not be a racer, her light hull responds nicely to Newton's 3rd Law, and she gets up to cruising speed very quickly.

The Excursion is not my boat. Too wide. Doesn't feel right to me. But if you need a lightweight touring boat, it sure beats the price of glass, Kevlar or carbon.