Epic V8 Pro Surfski

Carbon Composite
  • Elite

Carbon Composite

Epic V8 Pro Surfski Description

The Epic V8 Pro Surfski is a kayak brought to you by Epic Kayaks Inc.. Read Epic V8 Pro Surfski reviews or submit your own review to share with the paddling community. Check out a few other kayak recommendations below or explore all kayaks to find the perfect one for you!

Epic V8 Pro Surfski Reviews

Read and submit reviews for the Epic V8 Pro Surfski.

Epic Kayaks Inc.
    Epic V8 Pro Surfski Reviews

Read reviews for the Epic V8 Pro Surfski by Epic Kayaks Inc. as submitted by your fellow paddlers. All of the reviews are created and written by paddlers like you, so be sure to submit your own review and be part of the community!

Picked up my first surfski,…

Submitted by: guest-paddler on 10/10/2018

Picked up my first surfski, an Epic V8 Pro this summer. After paddling a composite Necky Chatham 17 sea kayak for the past couple of years, the Epic is better in almost every regard (and I love my Chatham), Lighter, faster, more comfortable, and of course way easier to carry with the built in carry handles. It is a fantastic entry level ski for anyone with a modest amount of paddling experience. I would highly recommend it to anyone thinking of crossing over from a sea kayak to a surfski. The only time I'll paddle my Chatham now is in the dead of winter when I'm all layered up in lots of neoprene.

Love it! I'm kayaking since…

Submitted by: mikiszoke on 6/28/2018

Love it! I'm kayaking since 30+ years, had a dozen different boats but hands down my V8Pro Ultra is so far the best. Coming from 14'-18' 60lbs sit-ins the 19' long, 20" wide, 27lbs ski is a different world. Loading, taking it to the water, even portaging a 100 rods in BWCA is so easy! Took me some time to feel comfortable in rough water, but worst case you fall in, so what? Remounting is 2 seconds, with the bailer open in a few yards the ski is emptied. The cut-out is a terrific idea, I almost never bang the paddle to the hull. And man is this fast! I cruise 4.2mph in my 14' 28", 5.0mph in the 16' 21", 6.2 in the V8Pro. I know, it doesn't sound like a lot, however the perception is there. Maybe it's the acceleration, or the glide but it feels almost effortless since I don't push a lot of water in front of me. The rudder design is terrific, for my size 10 feet it is a perfect fit. A weed guard is pretty much a must, so is the seat pad. $20 each. Yeah, you won't haul your camping gear, even 2 bottles of water throws the ski off balance if I don't have them in the middle on the bungee behind me. To me skis are about simplicity, it's a different mindset than a touring or sea kayak where I carry 15 things with me. It is an expensive craft, like all high end kayaks but you get a big bang for your buck. If you can afford it definitely go for the Ultra layup.

I have paddled a V7 and a V8 for a bit, those are super stable entry level skis. The V8Pro is a bit more challenging so expect some learning curve. Finally, there are way bigger experts than me on surf ski dedicated forums, suggest to check them for a better comparison.