Jura HV Reviews

Read reviews for the Jura HV by Venture Kayaks as submitted by your fellow paddlers. All of the reviews are created and written by paddlers like you, so be sure to submit your own review and be part of the community!

Are you an XL paddler? Tired of paddling kayaks that paddle like a raft, sslow sluggish and unresponsive? Your wait is over, venture Jura HV is the sea kayak for you... Fast, tracks great, white water outfitting. Larger cockpit for easy in and out.

Engage the connect seat system, Put this on edge and carve a turn like a pro. In the surf, no worries, the Jura has enough rocker to have a great time for costal play. If you're an XL paddler looking to get into sea kayaking make sure you check out the Jura HV!

If you are a larger...

If you are a larger paddler around the 6'2"/260lb variety with tree trunk legs and size 14 feet, looking for a plastic boat with outstanding quality, get this. The deck height should accommodate most NBA players' shoe size.

After a lot of research and lusting after several models and manufacturers, fit and fate led me toward the Jura. I tried an MV at Rutabaga in Madison WI and knew I was done looking. If I managed in the MV, I had no fear ordering the HV.

This is my first, and possibly last, sea kayak. I tend to buy and keep toys and equipment a lot longer than some and I think the Jura will stand the test of time with care.

It is a beautiful boat and I have received plenty of compliments already. I love the lines on it. Mine is orange but the colors for venture boats have a mild, off color speckled-look up close. The bucket seat and cockpit adjustment is outstanding. 4 hours in the saddle with no complaints. It can hold me in as tight as I want or let me lay back and stretch. The ratcheting back rest is a welcome feature. Love the convenient paddle-park.

The boat tracks excellent without the skeg positioned until the crosswind or current calls for it. The full-down rudder position really does the trick on a winding, turbulent creek. Operation is smooth and predictable. I used permanent marker to draw hash marks next to the adjustment slider to give me a position gauge.

A couple marks against the boat might be a little tinkering but I enjoy that sort of thing:

1. I found the aft deck rigging a little sparse so I added a couple more bungees. One across the "jura" name and one diagonal next to the day hatch. This holds the spare paddle much better than before.
  2. I also had to adjust the rudder lines once, but this is easily accessed via the "inspection panel" in the aft. Not sure how they got loose or stretched in the first place but everything has been working great ever since.
  3. Gotta be a little careful getting in and out so as not to leave skin on the ratchet teeth.
8.5 - 9 so far.