Keewaydin 16

by Swift Canoe & Kayak

The Keewaydin 16 is a nimble craft that has everything canoe trippers could want. With the same lowered seats and narrower paddling stations of the 17, the Keewaydin 16 is great for light weight weekend or week long adventures and spirited solo trips. With its mid-range length and weight capacity, it provides paddlers with a multi-functional tripping option that can meet the needs of any paddler.

Just back from a ten day trip in Algonquin park. We picked…

Just back from a ten day trip in Algonquin park. We picked up our new Keewaydin 16 and gave it a good workout. We were very happy with all aspects of the canoe. It was beautiful with clear coat black and champagne bottom. We bought the carbon fusion with carbon trim so the canoe was very lite. We loaded it with lots of gear and it handled great and paddled very good as loaded as it was and still quite fast. When it was empty of the gear and just the two of us it was wonderful to paddle. I really could not think of a bad thing to say about it so we are very happy with our new canoe.
Thank you Swift.

Last year I test paddled the Keewaydin 16 with my wife and…

Last year I test paddled the Keewaydin 16 with my wife and liked it enough to order one. I had the bow seat moved forward 2” to accommodate our weight difference and my wife is petite so the narrower paddling station works for her. I opted not to do the bow sliding seat because I didn’t want to add extra weight and I’ve never found that I’ve needed to trim a canoe this way. If I need to trim, I just lean forward more myself or lean back or put a full dromedary bag in the bow. I find the seats comfortable for sitting or kneeling. I did not order the kneeling thwart even though I love to solo this canoe. I have an otter box for my 35mm camera that I use to support myself while kneeling. It works well for me and does not cut the boat up as much as an additional thwart. I can easily carry my canoe barrel, my dog, and another large backpack style dry bag, but would be more limited with a kneeling thwart. Solo, I heal the boat over and paddle Canadian style with my dog comfy on the foam mat. Healed over, the canoe is stable enough to accommodate some movement from her, a 75 pound dog. The canoe really firms up when near the rail so going over is not much of a worry. A dedicated solo is easier to paddle solo and less likely to be affected by the wind but the Keewayin 16 is a very fine canoe for solo paddling. For the most part, I’ll choose this canoe over my dedicated solo because it is a little lighter. It’s a wonderful canoe to paddle tandem, which is what it was purchased for. I can control it very well from the stern and my wife has great control in the bow as well, especially with a cross bow draw which is her go to turning stroke. I’m not sure how David Yost manages to combine sea worthiness, initial stability, good tracking and turning all in one design. But, he did it again. I’m also very impressed with Swifts craftsmanship and customer service. Our Keewaydin 16 turned out perfectly.

I was looking for a canoe for shorter tandem trips and longer…

I was looking for a canoe for shorter tandem trips and longer solo adventures. I'm typically somewhere in Lady Evelyn territory where at least the start and finish is on fairly large water. After some trialing and research I finally settled on the Keewaydin 16 with a kneeling thwart. The initial consideration were weight, capacity and durability. I also have to admit that the Keewaydin is one nice looking boat and the hull shape is not only attractive but shows promise. I opted for aluminum gunwales, kevlar and an extra layer of gelcoat.

The Keewaydin has exceeded expectations especially as a solo machine. If you're comfortable enough with a kneeling thwart, you can achieve an almost perfect athletic stance for power through chop. The hull shape allows for ergonomic stroke entry and exit - think that is called tumble home. The low freeboard cuts down on wind effect yet this is the most seaworthy canoe that I've paddled on larger water.

This is a nice stiff boat so you're not wasting energy on any oil canning or hull rattling. The glide is impressive. You can maintain inertia against chop that would defeat many other canoes. In the solo position the Keewaydin cuts waves like a hot knife through butter. Kneeling thwarts aren't for everybody so make sure to try before you buy. So I guess the old saying that form follows function holds true for this canoe.

The guys at Swift have done a fantastic job with this machine

Just finished a 2 hours paddle on Lake Champlain in our new…

Just finished a 2 hours paddle on Lake Champlain in our new Keewaydin 16. Being mainly a kayak guy I was curious to see how this boat would handle the open water. There was a moderate breeze and some rolling waves and the boat handled great! My biggest concerns, going back to a canoe after 15 years in kayaks, were stability, tracking and comfort. I was truly impressed with this boat on all three criteria. The weight of our new boat (Textreme carbon fiber construction) is one of our favorite likes. We had two portage filled outings in The St. Regis canoe area of the Adirondacks prior to our Lake Champlain outing, and my wife and I were thrilled with ease of the carries. The quality of construction is impeccable. This boat is well worth the investment.
Definite 10 out of 10.

Just bought this canoe in Kevlar Fusion with aluminum trim and I…

Just bought this canoe in Kevlar Fusion with aluminum trim and I really love it. Not only is it stunning to look at but it is light, turns well, tracks well and is quick and efficient. It is a jack of all trades but really master of none. I tested boats that were faster and ones that turned better but none that did everything as well as this boat.

I wanted something that was a good all around ship for lakes and streams... a tripping canoe. It is light enough to be easily carried around rough stuff. Tested it in wind and waves and had good stability and very good speed. Stability is good as well - it feels a bit twitchy at rest but it lets you know what it is doing.

I believe this boat is a little beyond my skill level which is good because the better I get with it, the more it rewards me. It is forgiving enough though that I don't end up in a rock or in the water if I make a mistake. It is however very sensitive to weight ballast. It does not track well in wind and waves if that is off - the adjustable front seat makes this a breeze to adjust for though... the boat requires a lot of communication with the bowman and likes to be steered from the bow.

I can't speak for it's solo prowess and don't plan on using it solo. For tandem it is great and pushes both paddlers to work together. A really fun canoe - comfortable as well. A great all around performer!

I decided to write initial review of Swift Keewaydin 16 canoe based…

I decided to write initial review of Swift Keewaydin 16 canoe based on my initial impressions. I have 10 years of canoeing background and this is my second canoe. My first canoe is MR Explorer rx and I keep it for whitewater and mixed water usage and for duck hunting.

I bought the Keewaydin 16 for flatwater canoeing both as tandem and solo usage tandem canoeing being more frequent usage. Keewaydin 16 fulfills these criteria wonderfully. It is fast flatwater canoe having enough primary stability. It turns enough well especially if you tilt canoe gently to outer side of curve.

This canoe does not catch windage very much. Bow is quite high but in center and stern positions side are quite low. The Keewaydin 16 is fast canoe. In stiff head winds it is capable to maintain approximately 6 km/h speed. In other wind direction speed is 6.5 - 8.0 km/h and you can maintain this speed whole day. In calm speed is 7 - 7.5 km/h.

As I said this canoe has low windage but also this canoe does not lose its speed when it hits to wave. This canoe can somehow handle waves very gently.

I have not paddled Mad River Malecite or Bell Northstar but I guess this canoe is one of the very best choices for flatwater canoeing both as tandem and solo. I have tried Wenonah Solo Plus, Wenonah Escapade and Swift Kipawa and I liked more Keewaydin 16. Both Wenonah are bit faster but j-stroke cannot be used. Sitting positions in Wenonah are very low and footbrace should be used in those Wenonahs.

The Kipawa was fast but not as fast as Keewaydin 16. Kipawa turns very quickly but on the other hand Kipawa has very low initial stability. So Keewaydin 16 had features that I wanted from my second canoe.