Baidarka Reviews

Read reviews for the Baidarka by Shearwater Boats as submitted by your fellow paddlers. All of the reviews are created and written by paddlers like you, so be sure to submit your own review and be part of the community!

I finished Eric Shade's...

I finished Eric Shade's Baidarka Oct 2005. Two days later I had it out for a week of BCU training off Tybee Island GA. What a week. I experienced more with this boat in a week than I would have in two years of regular paddling. We had a rough week with the weather. Tasks that I put this boat through included a surfing class, open rough water training, all day three star open water paddle, and the experience of a life time surfing 6 to 8 foot confused hurricane driven waves. I never went over once in the baidarka. Whenever the nose started to pearl on these very steep waves the baidarka's time tested design corrected itself and I screamed down the wave. It rolls and edges easily. A following sea is a blast with the transom giving the boat a nicely controlled push to help speed you along. This boat is exceptionally fast and carries more gear than you might ever have need for. I took it out for a five day expedition in the Okefenokee swamp and carried the water for three members of the trip as well as my own gear. I am going to build a 16 foot version with a touch of extra rocker as a day/play boat. The plywood design of this kit shows the genius of the designer. It goes together well and paddles comfortably. Very roomy cockpit. Absolutely no complaints after almost a year of heavy use.