Seablade

by Sevylor

I already have a Sea Eagle 370, and wanted something that was…

I already have a Sea Eagle 370, and wanted something that was much lighter and less hassle to get out spontaneously for a paddle. After a load of browsing, I settled on the one person Sevylor Sea Blade, although it only seems to be available new in Australia these days.

The quality of build seemed really good, and put my Sea Eagle to shame.

Inflating it is easy, though the pressure gauge was a faff and lost air. The pressure is SO low (0.6bar) that I doubt if the gauge can read that accurately at that level anyway.

Despite being well within the described weight range, when I got on board, there was a distinct bend in the middle. I got out again and added more air, so it was definitely a bit more rigid. However, a similar bend still developed.

I found it EXTREMELY unstable, and couldn't get my feet onto the foot rest, without a LOT of wobble. When I then started paddling it was very unnerving.

In the end, I put my feet either side of the front and that seemed to stabilise the craft, probably by increasing the weight distribution sideways.

However this wasn't satisfactory. When I next got a chance, I tried the Sea Blade again. Exactly the same problem.

Two friends then tried it. One was almost the same weight as me and he had exactly the same trouble too. The other was tall but much lighter. She found the Sea Blade worked perfectly.

I'm guessing that this is the issue - the weight specification is far too high and as a result the Sea Blade feels terrible for larger folk and gets bad reviews. Give it to a kid and they will be fine.

I've gone back to my Sea Eagle, and it consistently gives great results.

I bought a 2 person Seablade and had the same problem of…

I bought a 2 person Seablade and had the same problem of bending in the middle. I thought that maybe the pressure gauge was faulty so I pumped it up above recommended but then it lost proper shape and became completely unstable. Paddling it into the wind is a nightmare because when you really dig in there's no cut in the water so it just wobbles from side to side; the skeg is useless. The space between the outer cover and the inflatable part fills with water and then needs draining, maybe this is part of the design as ballast but it can't be efficient and is a pain in the butt when you get to the beach/bank. When I bought this they sent me two but charged me for one so I put the used and unused on ebay after the first use and actually made a profit! If they had just sent me one I would have lost a lot and been really angry as this item just does not do what it says!! Avoid it!

I am currently over 200 lbs and if I sit in a…

I am currently over 200 lbs and if I sit in a seat with the kayak fully inflated, it does not bend. Some water does get inside the cover but not enough to make much difference. It paddles well, but is slower than a hard boat (duh!). Great beach toy that doubles as a good small boat. Plan on getting wet if you paddle any SOT inflatable.

I have owned a 2 seat Seablade for about 3 years. I…

I have owned a 2 seat Seablade for about 3 years. I am very pleased with it. It is extremely stable, tracks well because of the 3 skegs, and is light and easy to carry. It does not bend in the middle. I am 195lbs and 6 feet tall. It is super easy to swim off and get back on. I highly recommend it.

Very disappointed with the Seablade, having inflated to the recommended pressure the kayak bends in the middle whist in use, I am only 89 kilos and the max weight is 130 kilos so I am way under the max.
My Son is 65 kilos and it also bends in the middle with his weight, also the liner fills with water making the kayak heavy to use and maneuver The sad thing is I purchased 2 of these and they are useless to me, they do not do what they are supposed to do, if you look at any promotional picture of this product you will see a fully grown adult on the kayak without any bend on the Kayak whatsoever, they have obviously photoshopped the pictures to sell an hugely inferior product.