Coastal Tour Sprayskirt

by Seals

I used a coastal tour spray skirt in the 2016 Everglades Challenge…

I used a coastal tour spray skirt in the 2016 Everglades Challenge. The spray skirt was comfortable and works well for keeping drip from the paddle out of the cockpit.

The limitation of the spray skirt is the seal around the cockpit combing. I found it difficult to get a seal that would keep water out of the cockpit in rough seas. With each wave that submerged the cockpit combing, a small amount of water dripped into the cockpit. This became an issue in extended open water crossings when enough water built up in the cockpit to have and effect on boat stability.

For staying dry from drip from the paddle, rain or the occasional wave that washes the deck of the kayak, these spray skirts work well.

The spray skirt is easily adjustable, fits well on the torso and the suspenders do a good job of keeping the tunnel high on the torso. It is a comfortable spray skirt that works well in sheltered water. For open water use, consider a seals neoprene skirt.

I bought the 1.4 size in black which was listed for my…

I bought the 1.4 size in black which was listed for my Eddyline fathom. It seems to be a good fit. It fits snug around the cockpit rim without being impossible to stretch and get on. The mesh zip pocket up front is nice for storing anything you need on hand. The integrated suspenders are easy to put on and the trunk is adjustable if you need a little more room.

I've yet to roll the kayak to see if the skirt implodes or not though, so I can't say much about that. It can get a bit warm under the skirt, which can be a little uncomfortable if the temp is really high. I've considered getting the Seals Tropical Tour skirt for those occasions since it breaths better, though according to others isn't as water resistant. That said though, a puddle can form on the skirt and it won't readily soak right though keeping you dry.
Overall a nice skirt.