Prospector 16

by Scott Canoe

I recently purchased a used Scott prospector in Kevlar and all wood…

I recently purchased a used Scott prospector in Kevlar and all wood trim with cane seats. This canoe performed just as described by the manufacturer. It is also very pleasing to the eye. I have had it in quiet flat water with the entire family (3 children 2 adults) with plenty of freeboard. This boat is very nimble and versatile. The stability is amazing as it can be leaned over right to the gunnel with ease. This is my second canoe; my other canoe is aluminum made by Ouachita.
I would give this boat a perfect rating based on my experience with it. It does exactly what they say that it can do.

Was previously using a Swift Algonquin 16 and a Langford 16 Prospector…

Was previously using a Swift Algonquin 16 and a Langford 16 Prospector. Had a Scott as rental for a trip with a friend and fell in love.

I find my Scott Prospector 16 more stable and more comfortable in big waves than anything else I had used. Have had it loaded with 2 adults and 4 kids and fishing gear in Georgian Bay with no issues or concerns. I do a lot of wildlife photography and found the layout of this canoe perfect and extremely stable. Handles very smoothly on small lakes and quiet rivers. And it is just as good when fully loaded for some tripping.
I give it a 10.

I recently paddled a Prospector on a 50-mile trip with our Boy…

I recently paddled a Prospector on a 50-mile trip with our Boy Scout troop. The canoes were rented from Scott canoes. My son and I had a kevlar with aluminum trim. My son is a decent kayak paddler, but still a novice in a canoe. Needless to say I used a lot of J strokes to correct the canoe. I was also quiet surprised by all the scratches on the hull from touching the rocks. If any of you know, every island in Biscotasing and Ramsey lake in Ontario is made up of a large rock, so you cant avoid them.

I am used to paddling my Grumman and Tracker canoes. The big keel on these canoes will make you track so straight. I didn't even notice how my kid was such a novice. And a little rub on a rock is hardly noticeable.

The Scott was so light on the portage, but the tracking and scratches were the downfall for me. Maybe I shouldn't even post this, I believe its probably unfair to only give it an 8, I'm sure its a 10 out of 10 canoe to people who use this type of canoe on a regular basis. It's just that I'm used to aluminum.
To me a canoe is like my pickup, Tuff and not too fast. This Prospector is more like a Camaro. Light,Fast,Good looking, and not for a pick-up-man.