Pathfinder tandem

by Red Star Marine

I purchased this boat just recently and I am quite satisfied with…

I purchased this boat just recently and I am quite satisfied with it. Apart from poor accessories (seats give little or no back support, paddles and especially pump are rubbish) boat itself is well made and durable. When paddling alone, the speed is also acceptable (normal cruise speed in slow river is 7-8km/h), when boat is loaded with 2 people and some gear, speed drops significantly (around 6.5-7km/h). So it is not able to compete with hardshells or even faster canoes (tested on 100km river marathon last saturday).

It handles pretty well and tracking is also good. I managed to brake aft skeg after hitting some rocks, but when stern skeg was placed in the back, the boat continued to perform normally. For recreational use (or mild whitewater) it has great "bang-for-a buck" value (bought it as new from ebay for 95£), for more sportier paddling needs, I would go for a hardshell.

I would rate the boat itself with 8 stars, accessories - 5, performance 7, price 10 and durability with 8 stars. So overall 8 with a little minus. But for simple daytouring or weekend paddling when speed is not an issue, it is really nice boat!

Added the Pathfinder tandem (2 person) from Red Star Marine, to my…

Added the Pathfinder tandem (2 person) from Red Star Marine, to my fleet of inflatables and am very pleased I did. Build quality is excellent and the 3 layer material seems very durable. They use Summit valves in the main tubes... very nice as they are quality valves. Tracking with 1 or 2 persons is very good, especially when using the 2 supplied skegs. Also like their use of plenty of D rings for lashing too.

If your needs are anything less than a Class III/IV rated kayak, these are perfect, especially as they run much less than Aire or NRS inflatables. C/S at Red Star was excellent as I lost a air fill adapter, they sent one right out at no charge! Very pleased with my purchase.