GravityWorks 4.0 L Filter System

by Platypus

I purchased the Platypus GravityWorks 4.0 L Filter System about a…

I purchased the Platypus GravityWorks 4.0 L Filter System about a year ago at the recommendation of a trusted backcountry buddy. I have since used the system on several trips with no complaints. I'll admit a $120 seems like a huge investment, but definitely worth the cost. Super easy to use (just fill, hang, and wait). Super durable, mine's been used and taken in and out of my pack at least a hundred times with no signs of wear. Very convenient, with a multitude of adapters to fit everyone's filling needs.

I did notice a lot of partially negative reviews in regard to filter longevity, or lack thereof, something one can avoid by following manufacturer recommendations and back flushing every use.

I am glad I purchased this filtration system and would highly recommend it to anyone!

This is a fantastic system. I've used Platypus systems for decades, and…

This is a fantastic system. I've used Platypus systems for decades, and they've always lived up to expectations. This system removes almost all contaminants (there are always exceptions, so always check where you're headed vs. what a system removes--sometimes extra steps are necessary for certain diseases/microbes), is easy to use, and easy to pack.

The Pros:
- The gravity feed system allows for purification of several liters of water at a time without pumping. So, you can set up/breakdown camp while your water supply is replenished.
- The clean and dirty water bags, filter, etc. are all very clearly marked. In the dark, this is important!
- The quick-connect system lets you fill your hydration pack directly to avoid spilling and hassle. It also allows for some other cool things, like moving your clean water bag between hydration packs.
- It's light. While it doesn't pack down super-tiny like some systems that do a smaller amount of water at a time, it's still very lightweight.
- Filters are long-lasting and not too pricey.

The Cons:
- The only con, really, is that it is a bit bulky no matter how you pack it. I can't think of a way the manufacturer could change this, but it an get in the way if you're using it for backpacking or kayaking and are working with limited space. I've not found this prohibitive enough to make me want another system, but it's worth noting so you can leave space in your gear packing.

This is a great system for use on paddling trips. Like all…

This is a great system for use on paddling trips. Like all gear you do have to maintain it and follow the instructions for it to have a long life. We typically fill and filter a full bag as we approach camp site and then refill the dirty bag before landing, we then have 8 liters of water for use. By filling away from the banks you eliminate a lot of particles in the water, if the water is dirty then we use a pre-filter, coffee filter etc. when filling the dirty bag. Then just hang and let gravity do the work for you.

filter system works very good no pumping from water source fill bag…

filter system works very good no pumping from water source fill bag back to camp set filter to second bag finish with camp set up water is there hanging from tree quick set up filter replacement high end like most around $50.00 found at REI.

I wanted a 'let it be and do the work alone' type…

I wanted a 'let it be and do the work alone' type filter as standing in cold water while pumping water instead of sitting at camp cooking was not what I wanted. Being poor, I could not afford the entire Platypus system. Being an Air Force engineer, I am used to making-do. So I bought only the filter, made a foam carry-case and bought two used 'camelpak' bladders at a yard-sale for $1 each. I marked one DIRTY and the other CLEAN and used these as a cheaper option.

Ok, now that I have upset Platypus, here is what I found.
First, the thing works well! I filled the dirty bladder, hung it from a tree and within minutes, the clean bladder was full. refill the Dirty bladder and repeat! a GREAT DESIGN!!!
When I got home, I simply used distilled water and backflushed the filter in my shower to clean it out.

Two suggestions though.
The filter clogs easily so pre-filter this and any water-filter. I carry a cloth bag with a coffee filter or t-shirt as a pre-filter.
Second, air trapped in the Dirty hose can slow the process so purge the hose by letting some water flow from the hose before you attach it to the filter.
Aside from that, the system works and works well.

The only reason I gave it a 9 instead of a 10 is because I bought a used Sawyer which is smaller, lighter and has a longer life. The Sawyer, however, can use some refinements and requires additional parts to work as a drip-system.

I am new to the kayak world, but have been camping/hiking for…

I am new to the kayak world, but have been camping/hiking for many years. My favorite water filter of several tried has been the Platypus gravity works. I initially thought this system would be bulky and time-consuming, but that was far from the truth.

This is the fastest system for filtering water, particularly large quantities, is one of the lightest filter systems, and requires little to no maintenance. I probably got about 1500 liters out of a single filter. It is an extremely versatile system since you can filter a small amount or a large amount of water at a time which works well for a camp of multiple people, or for a line kayaker.

The primary drawback to this system is that is more expensive than the average pump filters, but its ease of use make it worth it for me.

Pros: it's fast, easy to use and easy to maintain.
Cons: It's expensive and difficult to use with small, non-flowing water sources (which shouldn't be problem for kayakers). The Platypus waterworks runs about $120 and a replacement filter is about $40.
The cost is the only reason I gave it a 9 instead of a 10.

This is perfect. No pumping required for fast, safe and delicious…

This is perfect. No pumping required for fast, safe and delicious water. Simply fill up one bag from lake/stream/river (dirty bag), connect the hose/filter to the clean bag and hang it on a tree or rock or wherever there is gravity between the two. The water from the dirty bag filters into the clean bag in mere minutes. The clean bag also has a dispensing hose with clip or you can easily fill your water bottle. The whole system is very light, compact and fits easily in backcountry gear.