Eclipse 16.0 Reviews

by Perception

Better than I am!

After several years of dreaming about kayaking, I took the plunge.
Yeah, my OCD kept me from rushing out and buying the first rec/yak I saw and then outgrowing it. Living at the beach near a harbor, I wanted something I could grow with and found a 20-year old Eclipse Sealion on Craigslist. The original owner was "finally" ready for a new boat and my timing was right.f
I'm not small (6'3" 215#) and neither is this kayak. That allows it to be a perfect fit for me. The cockpit is roomy enough but also good for bracing.
I launch from a sandy beach in the harbor and find the initial stability to be excellent. When running with the rudder up, she moves on edge very nicely with no surprises. With rudder deployed she turns fine and the weather cocking is minimized.
I've taken my time and I'm still learning but she is forgiving of my fumbles and hasn't dumped me in... yet.
Very stable kayak. Durable, even after 20 years. Fun to learn with and grow with. A bit heavy (70#) as a you'd expect a touring boat to be, but well balanced and not difficult to handle.
Sure, there are newer, shiny, and expensive boats out there. But for me, this one is perfect!

I've been kayaking for the past 6 mos. The Eclipse 16 is…

I've been kayaking for the past 6 mos. The Eclipse 16 is the only boat I've paddled. I've have sprinted to 6.4 mph. and on an 8 mile course,GPS, averaged 5.1 mph. Seems fast to me for a plastic boat. I am 55 yo 5'7" 180 lb. Only an 8 because it wont track without the rudder and no fixed pegs to push against.