Pelican's 6-foot Solo is a highly functional sit-on-top kayak that is simply scaled down for smaller paddlers.  Superior stability means more confidence for kids; open cockpit means less worry for parents.  Self-bailing design and swim-up rear deck with handles.  Options include a comfort backrest, security flag  and a junior paddle.

Kids toy

If you're wanting a toy kayak for a small child this kayak is great. So I am rating it based on it being a kids toy.

My son is 11, 90lbs, very active and was excited to kayak, but 1 hour paddling in a small calm lake his back was too sore to sit, it has no back rest which was the main issue, combined with the very short paddle that is soft. Also the place to put a water bottle isn't ideal, the bottle gets soaked in lake water so having something upright would help.

Going to attach a back rest on ours, add a cushion and have him use a proper paddle, we'll see how that goes.

Again, great for a kids toy just playing in the water, if that's what you're after I would recommend this. It is sturdy and I like the safety flag feature.

I actually just found one of these by a dumpster at an…

I actually just found one of these by a dumpster at an apartment complex where my boyfriend works. I was joking with some friends about how it's probably being thrown out because it was terrible so we decided to take it to the pool to try it out.
As a 5'10" 145lb woman, it worked AMAZING. To whomever commented saying the weight capacity is more like 105lbs, they are totally wrong. Even though we found it out to be more of a youth kayak, we had grown men (200+lbs) on it without any issue other than they were too tall for it! I can't wait to take it on the river

DO NOT SINK! The Pelican Solo Kayak does NOT hold 140 lbs…

DO NOT SINK! The Pelican Solo Kayak does NOT hold 140 lbs. of weight. The weight capacity is more like 105 lbs. Also, keep in mind the weight of paddles, shoes, equipment or anything else on board. The listings for 140 lbs. on all websites for this kayak are not accurate. Very important!

Have to rate this for what it is: a kids toy to…

Have to rate this for what it is: a kids toy to get them interested in paddling. A solid 10 in that respect, the kids love them. We've had them for a few weeks now and the kids are now using them as paddle boards; they are that stable.

My kids are 9 and 7 and on the smaller side but my 125lb niece was using it and having a great time, with a slightly wet butt from waves and riding lower. My 100 lb wife uses it easily and it has spurred us to buy kayaks ourselves. The kids easily climb back on them in the water. I have watched them intentionally flip them many times, flip them back over and jump back up. My wife said they are extremely stable even riding over boat wakes. She said to flip it it pretty much has to be intentional (accidents happen though). They are very durable, I dropped a rope through the front drain holes and tied it from the bottom and towed it behind my 30hp inflatable for some white water kayaking. My 16 and 18 year old nieces said they prefer it to tubing since you can lean in the corners to stay on. If jumping waves dragging them behind a boat didn't break them I'm not sure what will. I think they will last a long time.
The family the plays together stays together.