Coast XT Reviews

• $2,475 MSRP

Read reviews for the Coast XT by Oru Kayak as submitted by your fellow paddlers. All of the reviews are created and written by paddlers like you, so be sure to submit your own review and be part of the community!

Oru has Quality Control Issues

In July of 2016 I purchased two Coast+ boats direct from ORU.

Boat number one was missing all of the u-channels that hold the bulkheads in place. This boat was sent back to ORU. Two months later they got around to shipping the replacement model.

Boat number two developed a leak deep in one of the folds. This leak could not have been caused by the user. It developed deep within the seam. It wasn't until early summer 2017 that the cause of the leak could be determined by me. I contacted ORU and they agreed to repair the leak under warranty. I sent the boat back, and two months later a brand new boat arrived. Unfortunately this one is unusable as well. It is missing one of the u-channels, and two others are installed in the wrong location. Also, the seam channels are too long to span the distance from the cockpit to the bow. This is where the story currently stands.
My advice to perspective ORU purchasers is this: DO NOT buy directly from the manufacturer. Only buy through a trusted retailer such as REI. DO NOT leave the store until the boat can be fully assembled to your satisfaction. If you are keeping score, ORU has sent me 4 Coast+/xt models and 3 of them have been defective.
About the boats. They are very difficult to assemble. It usually takes me 20 minutes. The plastic is easily damaged. The folds cannot be trusted to last the life of the boat. Numerous components of the boat can be broken or lost ruining a trip.
What is good about the boat? It can be easily stored in the basement out of sight.

Ended up buying two!

I own the Bay from 2014 which was somewhat improved over the kickstarter version. Three years later, having gone paddling over 30x, I wanted to upgrade. The coast xt is a much better handling boat and allows for controlled edging and advanced turns. Edged rudders are also easy to accomplish. The coast xt is a much tighter fitting boat with good padding around the hips due to the updated seat back.

The coast xt is stable on chop and is an excellent boat for long trips.

I have since purchased a second boat for the wife so that we can enjoy paddling together. She is still a novice and finds the boat stable enough for learning, but is also able to manuvure.

Assembly is easy if one follows the simple instructions. Similar to the Bay, the folds on the coast xt takes some breaking in. Once this period is over, assembling the boat is super quick and easy and is much simpler that most skin on frame folding kayaks.

I bought the Coast after...

I bought the Coast after watching the videos on Oru's website. I had to watch the assembly video about 30 times before I finally got it. Putting it together isn't a one person job. Out on the lake, the Coast is a slow but stable ride. The seat is horrible. The deck strap broke within 15 minutes of assembly. I returned it. Guess it's fine for someone who doesn't have a car and wants to paddle around for 30 minutes or so on a calm lake. If you take it in the ocean, stay near the Coast.

I was initially very...

I was initially very skeptical, and thought that I made a huge mistake when I bought this kayak. The whole packaging was so small, that I thought that this was a toy. After using this kayak about 20 times, my opinion has become very positive.

Pluses:
+ Stores inside of a small car
+ extremely durable (won't crack or split open like a hard shell fiberglass
+ as fast as any hard shell with excellent glide ability
+ incredible acceleration probably due to the light weight and low hull to water friction
+ takes on big waves easily and has very good stability through rough waters.

Negatives:
- Long learning curve to fold and unfold in which mistakes could damage the kayak.
- Gets blown around by the wind fairly easily (probably due to the light weight, low hull/water friction and fairly flat keel)

Overall:
once you get the hang of it to fold and unfold, and with some minor modifications to suit your personal needs, can't find anything bad to say about this kayak.

The Oru 'Coast' is...

The Oru 'Coast' is light, highly portable and assembles fairly easily. It also seems very durable. However, relative to it's price it doesn't perform very well, and has several other shortcomings relative to similarly priced folding kayaks.

At 32 pounds, the Coast is one of the lightest 16' folding kayaks. With practice it assembles in about 15 minutes. The polypropylene material is highly durable and easily repaired.

While the Coast is more rigid than the previous Oru 'Bay' model, it's still fairly flexy. This flex, along with it's 25" beam make it's overall performance adequate, but unspectacular. It's primary stability is very high, secondary stability is fair, and speed is also only fair. The seat comfort is average.

One it's major shortcomings is it's foot-bracing platform, which consists of a bar connected to cord. It's just not very solid, and isn't very functional for maneuvering and control.

Another major shortcoming is gear access. In order to access gear stored inside, it's necessary to partially disassemble it, which is cumbersome and time-consuming. Storage capacity is decent; enough for a few days.

Like it's predecessor, the Coast is an interesting, novel design that is only practical in terms of low weight and portability. It has significant shortcomings compared to other similarly priced kayaks. Pakboats kayaks are about the same or a little less, and are more practical. The Trak Seeker is a little more expensive, but significantly better overall. Apart from the novel design, the Coast doesn't offer much in terms of practicality.

I think it's very nice for...

I think it's very nice for what it is, but it feels like what it is, like sitting inside a big cardboard box with 2 long triangular boxes attached to either end. I bought it and tried it once and returned for refund (-15% restocking)

I found it weather cocked a lot but it tracked pretty well and wasn't too slow and seemed to do well straight into the wind, much better than an inflatable. I found it extremely uncomfortable and was in pain the next day after only a of couple hours messing around in it. The backrest is way too high for real paddling, but easily modified. The footrest arrangement is horrible. You might be able to modify it enough to make it comfortable enough but I just didn't like the boat enough to want to get into that.

All the plastic parts seem kind of toy like, I'm concerned how long this will hold up, the whole concept is still very new. Also I really don't know how you're supposed to be able to access any cargo stowed inside the hull without just about taking apart the whole thing every time.

Oru customer service can be friendly and helpful but not really on the ball, seems like poor internal communication, they say their getting back to you tomorrow and then they ignore until next week. I found them frustrating to deal with though they seem like the try to do a good job, sooner or later, that's good enough I suppose...