Win a Kayak or SUP

Rob Roy 15 Reviews

Read reviews for the Rob Roy 15 by Northstar Canoes as submitted by your fellow paddlers. All of the reviews are created and written by paddlers like you, so be sure to submit your own review and be part of the community!

One of my favorite all...

One of my favorite all time canoes was the Bell Rob Roy 15. Mine went with me to a myriad of places, both close and quick, and remote and long. Unfortunately back surgery and a few other ailments of "middle age" prompted me to sell mine in search of something just as nice but lighter. It was, then, with great pleasure, that David Yost showed me the prototype of North Star's new Rob Roy. I ordered the very first one on the spot.

Fast forward two months and my new canoe has arrived. I took it out today to put it through its paces. Much has stayed the same; some things have changed for the better. The original model had a foam seat and a skinny back pad that was torturous after about a half hour. I replaced it with the second generation seat, which was a great improvement. The new model has what appears to be a close relative of the seat used in some Placid Canoes. Since both are Yost designs it's not much of a stretch to figure that out. This one is really comfortable. It will hold water but that can be dealt with. The seat is a few inches higher than the original model. That doesn't make the handling squirrley as it could but lets me also use a short bent shaft paddle in addition to the double. That will be handy. The next significant change is in the deck. The front section sits a little higher and allows easier access and room for really big feet. The foot pegs are easily adjustable from the seat.

In back the deck has been trimmed to make it easier to stow packs and other gear. I had to use a tape measure to be sure but there is definitely more open space to swallow bigger stuff. A really big portage pack will fit there. Throw a smaller pack under the decks at each end and you have yourself a very capable tripper.

Also new is a small wooden deck secured between carbon formed gunwales. I'm not sure it's all that functional but it really looks nice.

Finally, there is a nylon strap across the deck. I refer to it as a Geezer Assist Strap. It makes getting in and out much easier. Performance wise, the picture hasn't changed much. It's still a fast, sweet handling boat. It heads upwind without drama and takes quartering waves on the downhill run without weather cocking.
North Star has answered every one of my issues, however minor, with this new model. It's a definite winner.

Win a Kayak or SUP