Polar HV / Buccaneer Reviews

See all reviews for North Shore Sea Kayaks

Read reviews for the Polar HV / Buccaneer by North Shore Sea Kayaks as submitted by your fellow paddlers. All of the reviews are created and written by paddlers like you, so be sure to submit your own review and be part of the community!

North Shore are big in The...

North Shore are big in The Netherlands (yep, that's a dot across the ocean). In the past, I owned a North Shore Mariner and a North Shore Atlantic. I now paddle a North Shore Buccaneer, currently known as the Polar HV.

If you like British Style boats, give the North Shores a try. Fast, good initial and secondary stability, excellent workmanship, space for a ton of gear, and great seaworthiness. And personally, I find the lines of the hard-chine boats very pleasing to the eye. I may grow old in my Buccaneer. Nope, I don't have stocks. Just try their boats. And keep your money handy, they may convince you

The Bucaneer is a hard...

The Bucaneer is a hard chine British Design, it has quite an angular appearance with a pronounced 'chine' on the deck, which always make me think it is some sort of 'low radar profile' stealth shape. It has quite a rocker on it for a sea boat and it carries quite a slab sided amount of freeboard. These characteristics make it sound a bit of a liability in open water, but it can be very accurately trimmed with the adjustable skeg. It has great secondary stability, and for quite a big boat, it is one of the most agile sea boats I have paddled - with good on edge leaned turns and sprightly acceleration. The large hatch covers, and hull shape make this an extremely easy boat to pack, and when loaded, its handling is excellent, and concerns about performance in the wind melt away. I would recommend this boat for day trips close in shore, where you can get in close without concern and for taking on expeditions where you have a lot of kit, or just don't want to spend a long time trying to get everything in. North Shore also does a shorter lower volume Polar Bucaneer, which strangely seems to paddle like the loaded high volume version - if that is what you want.