Atlantic LV

by North Shore Sea Kayaks

The Atlantic LV is every inch a contemporary sea touring kayak, with all the attributes of the Atlantic, the LV is 10 inches shorter than its big brother. This reduction in length has created a very fast turning stable kayak with excellent glide and tracking. A very comfortable cockpit and seat with adjustable hip pads also includes a supportive back band. With ample storage for those much sort after weekend trips the Atlantic LV is a kayak that will put a smile on your face in any weather and sea state you wish to paddle in.

I have paddled the Atlantic LV for one year now and…

I have paddled the Atlantic LV for one year now and I am very please with this boat. I am a female paddler 5'6" with a sort torso. I love the way the boat feels snug and comfortable. When I sit in this boat I feel one with the boat.

The boat tracks very well, has a great primary and secondary stability. This boat is also easy to roll for those learning to roll. The only thing to keep in mind is that for long trip the LV limits the amount of gear you can carry.

Been paddling it for 1.5 years before switching to Tiderace XCite S…

Been paddling it for 1.5 years before switching to Tiderace XCite S for more rolling fun. Overall impression - solid and stable, if a bit sluggish (depends on conditions) boat.

Primary stability is very good making it easy to get in or out and move around when you need something from the day hatch or bag in the cockpit and taking pictures. Secondary stability is quite solid, it's and easy boat to keep edged, but I found it an inch to wide for my liking.

Acceleration is not great, but it's an easy kayak to paddle as a relaxed pace, can sustain 4 mph for longish periods when needed to, but I'm not a power paddler, so can't really comment on speed. Handles waves very well, easy boat to surf. To turn it "on a dime" you need to edge very aggressively.

Running in following seas is a pleasure - stability is good and you get extra speed boost from all the waves coming from behind. Atlantic LV tends to weathercock without skeg to a significant degree, deployment of skeg usually fixes it, skeg rattles a bit in the well, but then it does not get jammed easily on launch by gravel (one on my Tiderace gets jammed much more often), deployment is smooth and reliable - once set slider stays where it supposed to be.

One thing I don't like about the boat is paddling in completely flat water. Atlantic LV is a sea kayak and, IMO, needs a bit of liveliness of the water to show off its best qualities. In flat water and no wind it feels a bit "tubby". Once you get into some waves and wind it really shines. Rolling is easy, but not nearly as easy as Tiderace XCite. Forward-finish rolls are maybe a tiny bit easier than lay-back, but that's personal preference. If rear deck was just a bit lower, it would have been perfect for me.

Overall: a solid and well-made lower-volume boat for smaller-sized guys and ladies with excellent blend of primary and secondary stability. Gave it an 8 out of 10 because there are better boats out there for me, but its very subjective. Try before you buy, as the saying goes, but if you are looking for a 16-footer British kayak, definitely put Atlantic LV on your "to demo" list.