Dromedary Bag

by MSR

The idea was great. The reality is terrible. I was so excited…

The idea was great. The reality is terrible. I was so excited to buy 2 of these for my kayak trips. They were way over priced but I don't mind paying for quality gear. Unfortunately the taste it leaves in the water is just too much to take. I have tried cleaning out with bleach and soaking in baking soda water solution and nothing changes the fact that I can't drink the water out of these bags. I kept using them hoping they would finally stop tasting nasty but no luck. I went back to Platypus. Clear and clean.

I use 10L dromedaries for ballast and drinking water. Velcroed onto the…

I use 10L dromedaries for ballast and drinking water. Velcroed onto the keel in a Solstice Titan. Velcro from Seattle Fabrics, 3M removable marine quick set glue on hull, 3M 77 for Velcro to dromedary with bag filled with warm water preventing condensation.

You may glue the bag on the keel position for forming but the bag is flexible. Loading lightly atop these bags eg clothing in dry bags, and bags will not come loose during rolling. Rolling with a weighted keel is easier. Filling bags to conditions gives trim. 2 bags are velcroed on top accommodating a stacked 2 bag position in hatch behind the seat's bulkhead.

This is a very handy water bottle for kayaking. It's a…

This is a very handy water bottle for kayaking. It's a very simple nylon bag with rubber lining in 4l capacity. The drinking tube is sold as an additional item.

What I liked about this compared to the Camelback or similar products was that this one is simply a water bladder. I'm not paying for a backpack style that I won't use. This allows me to store the bottle behind my seat in the cockpit. This keeps it out of the sun and cooler than on deck or on my back with other styles.

I found that 4l is plenty for all day, it's a larger capacity than most other products. This setup comes in at approximately $40-$60 cheaper than the backpack types.

A couple tips; run the drinking tube up inside the skirt tunnel to have it handy, and also secure the bag using its nylon webbing straps to the seatback or backband using a cheapo carabiner so it won't disappear when you dump out.