Double Play

by Mainstream Kayaks

Lets start with the most important feature of this kayak, it is…

Lets start with the most important feature of this kayak, it is fun. Tracks great, has room for two adults and one child, some good features with storage (even though I haven't figured out how to use it without the contents ending up in the bow somewhere), eyelets for adding a seat, and a strap for holding a cooler. The boat is very sturdy. It tracks great, turns good and is incredibly stable.

For the downsides, it is a little heavy, but I can still move it around by myself and even put it on top of the jeep with a little effort. My 46 lbs 8 year old son can carry one end while I carry the other, so I guess it isn't too bad. The only other negative is the capacity, it says 450 lbs, which if fine, but it really means it. With me and my wife in it (a combined weight of just over 300 lbs), the seats have about 1" of standing water in them (comes up the drainholes-which I plan on trying to find a way to plug them).

It takes a little effort to keep moving with two people, but you also have the power of two, so it evens out somewhat. It works pretty well with one person, the bow comes up out of the water slightly, but the boat is pretty nimble and easy to control.

Unless you are planning on covering several miles in a day, this kayak is great for the family. The kids can play on it without me worrying about tipping.

I bought this kayak at bass pro shops for $430,a price I am very happy with.