Egret Reviews

Read reviews for the Egret by Lotus Designs as submitted by your fellow paddlers. All of the reviews are created and written by paddlers like you, so be sure to submit your own review and be part of the community!

I bought this canoe used 2...

I bought this canoe used 2 years ago; I was attracted to it due to weight, workmanship and fine lines. Included paperwork and a VHS video explained the "Mike Galt" background. Came with 2 bent shaft Mitchell paddles stamped "Mike Galt". This is an attractive canoe with medium blue hull, white bottom and oiled wood. My wife and I love it for both solo and tandem flat water. Have also used as a solo light overnight flat water tripper. A slight V bottom provides good secondary stability, tracks well and turns nicely. When loaded properly this hull glides! When balanced/loaded properly it excels solo paddled with a nice lean, you can do a nearly straight stroke and she runs straight and fast. Hull has flotation in bow/stern which we have tested a few times.

Workmanship of Kevlar, gel coat, wood gunnels and cane seats is excellent. Front seat is adjustable on rails, a nice feature since balancing the load makes the hull handle differently as needed for conditions (wind, load, etc.). A canoe offering very fine handling for flat water use that also looks great and is easy to carry/load. Recognizing what it was made for, we avoid rocks/rapids.

Data from makers ad sheets that came with canoe: Length 14'3"; Mid beam: 31.5; Depth: 12"; Height at ends: 18"; Weight: 48#; Max. Cap: 450# with 350# optimum.