Egret

by Lotus Designs

I bought this canoe used 2 years ago; I was attracted to…

I bought this canoe used 2 years ago; I was attracted to it due to weight, workmanship and fine lines. Included paperwork and a VHS video explained the "Mike Galt" background. Came with 2 bent shaft Mitchell paddles stamped "Mike Galt". This is an attractive canoe with medium blue hull, white bottom and oiled wood. My wife and I love it for both solo and tandem flat water. Have also used as a solo light overnight flat water tripper. A slight V bottom provides good secondary stability, tracks well and turns nicely. When loaded properly this hull glides! When balanced/loaded properly it excels solo paddled with a nice lean, you can do a nearly straight stroke and she runs straight and fast. Hull has flotation in bow/stern which we have tested a few times.

Workmanship of Kevlar, gel coat, wood gunnels and cane seats is excellent. Front seat is adjustable on rails, a nice feature since balancing the load makes the hull handle differently as needed for conditions (wind, load, etc.). A canoe offering very fine handling for flat water use that also looks great and is easy to carry/load. Recognizing what it was made for, we avoid rocks/rapids.

Data from makers ad sheets that came with canoe: Length 14'3"; Mid beam: 31.5; Depth: 12"; Height at ends: 18"; Weight: 48#; Max. Cap: 450# with 350# optimum.