Trail Ridge tents

by Kelty

I have been camping with the 4 person version of this tent…

I have been camping with the 4 person version of this tent for a number of years. Good solid tent and easy to set up with the 2 main pole design. Sheds water week and so far seems to be durable. The only complaint I have is with the storm flaps for the zippers, they allow some water to drip in if it's raining hard enough or long enough. Otherwise a very good product.

I have had my Kelty lightweight 2-man tent for 14 years and…

I have had my Kelty lightweight 2-man tent for 14 years and I still love it. Easy to set up and to pack. 2 minutes to set up and to take down. Hope to have it for 14 more.

I have owned the Kelty Trail Ridge 2, 3, and 4 and…

I have owned the Kelty Trail Ridge 2, 3, and 4 and highly recommend all three models. The 2P and 3P would work great for kayak camping. The 4P is compact enough to fit in a canoe.

Best features of the Trail Ridge: excellent ventilation; great headroom; reliable waterproofing; reasonable price.

The 2P and 3P are among the tallest and most spacious 2 and 3-person tents on the market. They are very easy to enter despite their small size. You can actually step into the 3P. The 4P has one problem that bugs me: the solid fabric door. There is no view outside and it really cuts down on the ventilation in the summer. I'm planning on replacing the door with mesh.

While the 2P and 3P are larger than average, the 4P is possibly smaller than average. For me that was an advantage in buying it, but it's really best suited to two adults, or two adults and one child.

I honestly can't think of a good reason to pay more for a brand like Big Agnes, MSR, and so on. The Kelty Trail Ridge costs half the price of some other brands yet has better features and the fabric and poles are just as reliable.