Mini Tripper 9 Reviews

• $499 MSRP

Read reviews for the Mini Tripper 9 by Jackson Kayak as submitted by your fellow paddlers. All of the reviews are created and written by paddlers like you, so be sure to submit your own review and be part of the community!

First, ignore my number...

First, ignore my number rating. I gave the boat a 9 because it has no obvious flaws, has decent quality, and does what it is supposed to do.

Now my review...
I bought this kayak used for my 8 year old daughter. She has been riding in our tandem canoe with me, or with her mom in a kayak since she was 4 years old. It was time for her own boat.

There aren't too many options for kids out there, and we narrowed our choices to the Perception Acadia Scout, Carolina XS, Wilderness Tsunami SP, or the Jackson Mini-Tripper. I settled on the MT because it had a reasonable price and an open cockpit. She likes it that she can carry her own stuff in it. Granted, the open cockpit makes this boat only suitable for calm water, but I wasn't planning on taking my daughter into much moving water anyway. In my mind, it is a bit safer in case of capsize for the cockpit to be easier to exit.

My daughter seems to like the boat a lot. She's been in it twice. The first trip was only about an hour, and she had a hard time making it track. However, the second trip was for 4 hours, and by the end of it, she was handling the boat well. I think it tracks decently for a 9 foot boat, and at 23" wide, it is surprisingly quick.

Observing my daughter in the boat, she never seemed "tippy", and she never complained of feeling unstable. She hopped in and started paddling.

My verdict:
This is a fine starter boat for a child. In a few years she'll move up to something more advanced, and her younger sisters will learn in the Mini-Tripper.