Fun Float bag

by Jackson Kayak

This is a followup to my previous review. I decided to…

This is a followup to my previous review.
I decided to contact Jackson Kayak about the problem I had with the Fun Float Bag. They responded immediately and sent me a new bag along with a container for me to send the broken product back to them for their inspection. I was very favorably impressed with Jackson's customer service!

Conceptually, the Jackson Kayak Fun Float is great, but it has a…

Conceptually, the Jackson Kayak Fun Float is great, but it has a serious defect, in my opinion. On the plus side, the Fun Float is an inflatable horseshoe-shaped flotation bag that fits behind the kayak seat and wraps around the rear support pillar, completely filling the rear of the Jackson Fun 1 and Fun 1.5 kayaks (and perhaps others also). Fully inflated it provides a huge amount of flotation for these small boats. Because of its design it is much more likely to stay in a flooded boat than more traditional flotation bags that slide in beside the pillar.

On the negative side, however, the rigid plastic inflation tube into which one blows air to fill the bag is easily broken by routine use. The stiff tube broke off at its insertion point and pulled out of the bag, rendering the product useless. It seems to me that Jackson should redesign the Fun Float and use a flexible inflation tube which would not break off when the bag is inflated. I have tried in vain in the past to get Jackson Kayak to respond regarding product issues, so I didn't waste my time contacting them about this issue.

I give the Jackson Kayak Fun Float a 10 for the concept, but a 1 for durability. It is not cheap, and it should hold up much better than it does. It gets an overall rating of 4 from me.