Angler™ 144 (12’) Reviews

See all reviews for Future Beach Leisure Products
Sand
  • 30.5" Width
  • $789.99 MSRP

Read reviews for the Angler™ 144 (12’) by Future Beach Leisure Products as submitted by your fellow paddlers. All of the reviews are created and written by paddlers like you, so be sure to submit your own review and be part of the community!

I've only had mine for a...

I've only had mine for a couple of months, but I've enjoyed this kayak very much and have done a hand full of mods. An in that time I went through the process of testing the characteristics of this kayak. 1- Realign the rod holder so they both run parallel with the kayak. 2 - Added elevated pvc seat 4-1/2 which has made it easier to stand. 3 - Added pvc scupper mount to my kayak cart. Which helps keeps the cart straight. Since the kayak bottom is concave. 4 - A handle for support when standing.

I have found the kayak stable very and solid, even with 13 mph winds at all angles of rowing and anchoring. But the best was the price. Regular price was $500 On sale for $349 They took off 25% for scratches Clerk additional 25% at check out which made it $197 So yes very I'm very pleased with everything.

Impossible to flip

I've had this kayak out over a dozen times now and in my opinion it's really good for the money.
Pros:
1. Super stable. Takes rapids very well. Ive been stuck sideways on rocks in several times with no issues. You would have to really try to turn this boat over.
2. Tracks fairly straight.
3. Molded seat is comfortable. I don't have any trouble being in this boat for 5 or more hours.
4. Craftsmanship is excellent. This is a well built boat.
5. Hull is tough. I've taken mine over some sharp rocks and the hull is barely scratched. I think this boat will last forever.
6. Boat is decent fast. Faster than and Ascend 128t but slower than a Perception Pescador.
7. I really like the round inset in the rear that holds a 5 gallon bucket. I prefer a bucket over a crate and this is perfect.
8. Price. This is the boat to buy if you want to fish on a budget.

Cons:
1. Screw on compartment lids are ridiculous. For some reason they seize up even with lightly hand tightening. I've literally had to hammer mine loose before. Plus the compartments are so small they aren't very useful, an average smartphone will not fit inside.
2. The boat is super stable but it's hard to stand up because there's no flat area for your feet.
3. Handles aren't mounted at the balance point. Sounds silly but it's really aggravating that when you lift by the handles only one end raises. By the way this is with the boat empty.
4. Rod holders angle outward. I would prefer them to keep your rod tips more in line with the boat. If you're fishing around overhanging trees you have to be really careful to keep your rods from hanging up.
5. Butt stays wet all the time. I know this is a product of having a boat with a molded in seat but it's still something worth mentioning. I can't see fishing out of this kayak in cold weather.

Overall I'm very happy with this kayak and highly recommend it for someone looking to get into kayak fishing. I plan to purchase a boat with a raised seat before winter but I will keep my fb 144 forever.

This is the best kayak...

This is the best kayak ever! I use it for fishing and to float on creeks and rivers. I never used it in the ocean. The only negatives are that it's heavier than most kayaks, but I can move it around by myself and I'm a 130 lb male. It's stability is awesome. I currently have 3 kayaks of this model. Sometimes the screw on compartments can be really tough to open. In my opinion, it's almost impossible to flip it. I think you would have to grab both handles and roll it that way to flip it in the water. I can stand up in it, but you might fall off. I guarantee it won't flip.

I purchased my kayak in...

I purchased my kayak in 2014 and I'm in love with fishing all over again. This kayak tracks well, has plenty of storage space, and is very well made as I was told by someone who used to own a kayak outfitting store(at the time I had nothing to compare it to). The price point is pretty good too. I purchased it from Dunhams on sale for $479. It fits well just thrown in the bed of my short bed Silverado with little overhang. It is a very stable kayak at 30 inches wide and I can stand in it pretty easily too. I was leaning way back and popped the plastic that attached the back strap of the seat the 2nd time I used it but I was planning to replace the seat anyway. It doesn't have any padding and spending all day in it was uncomfortable. I weigh 120 lbs and picking this 60+ # kayak up to store in the J-hooks on my garage wall is kinda tough by myself. I have trouble getting the front hatch opened at times because I tend to have a heavy hand when I screw it closed. I keep my phone, keys,and chapstick there so it is very handy to have it so convenient and watertight though. All in all I think it was a smart purchase for a beginner fisherman and at the time of this review I have purchased a 2nd Future Beach 10.4 Journey sit in for spring and fall fishing.

This will be my 4th season...

This will be my 4th season for my Angler 144 my 1st fishing yak. The only thing I did not like was the seat and too small of an area to stand for casting. I added a boat seat which put me higher and makes it better to stand. I added a lot of extras ( more weight ) needed for a 68 year old that likes to fish. My other yak is collecting dust. If standing area was bigger, I would call it a 10/10.

I bought my Future Beach...

I bought my Future Beach Angler 144 last year. This was my first kayak, so cost was a big factor. I found the price was reasonable around $400.

It is a great starter kayak, very stable. I have made some changes to the back rest, I added a yak gear seat. That was the best thing I did very comfortable especially sitting out on a lake or river for 6 hrs or more. Everything else about this kayak is great. I've also added a Lowrance fish finder w/flex shaft transducer mount.

I have been considering moving up to a more advanced kayak, but I've really having a hard time giving something up that I've grown very fond of.

I would recommend anyone just starting out to really look at the Future Beach Angler 144 because it doesn't require a large investment.

The kayak is very stable....

The kayak is very stable. The speed is average. Slower than my Old Town Vapor 10 and the Perception Triumph 13. Faster than Lifetime Tamarack.

I wish there was a protective plate over the hull, stern side. The circular dry hatch lids are hard to open with just your hand.
It has not leaked any water on 4-5 trips.
Sloped sides make it easy to paddle and hang your legs over.
The seat, although simple, is easier on my back than I expected.
The front scupper holes should have been located farther toward the seat as water from my paddle accumulates in front of my seat.
As an angler kayak I wish it had an anchor trolley.
It costs $469 at Dunhams as of 5-15-15

All in all I like the kayak and would buy it again.

While I have only been...

While I have only been heavily kayaking for one season so far, I have used several sit on top and sit inside kayaks and I feel I can give a good review of the SOT Future Beach 144.

I initially bought this kayak for bow fishing and I must say that you can stand on it and bow fish pretty well with some practice. There is a kid on YouTube bow fishing on one of these while rocking out some AC/DC and he makes it look easy. I have used this kayak for several other uses in the past year and have been very pleased with it.

I will first talk about the modifications that I have made to this kayak. First of all I am 6'1" and around 240lbs. The "seat" that it came with had to go. I replaced it with a much better one. I did not like the anchor trolley system that came with the yak, so I replaced it with one that runs the full length of the yak. I mounted a ram ball for my GPS. I replaced the scupper plugs with some much more durable ones. I also replaced the carry handles. They were much too flimsy for the weight of the yak.

On calm water - I have had this kayak in swamps, small lakes, and large lakes. It tracks very well, and is quite easy to paddle considering its 30" wide. I would want anything wider than 30" though. I had the opportunity to paddle a 36" wide SOT and was not happy. I am able to stand on the yak and operate a fishing pole or a bow fishing system. Standing takes some practice but it can be done surprisingly well and easy after you get used to it.

On choppier waters - Pine Lake is heavily used in the summer months. I have on two occasions taken my Angler 144 on Pine Lake when all the watercraft was on it. It was fun crashing around on the waves and the yak never tipped, but a long paddle in choppy water would probably prove to be a beating. At least for me. I noticed that my buddy's Vapor 10 was going through the waves much better than mine was.

On slow moving rivers - I have had this yak on the Yellow River quite a bit. It's about 20yds wide with lots of turns. The river during the summer months is around 2-3ft deep. The angler 144 has done very well with it. Not as nimble as my girlfriend's Ascend D10 or my buddy's Vapor 10, but it hangs in there. I have had this yak over class 1 and 2 rapids with good results.

Kayak Camping - the Future Beach Angler 144 shines for storage capacity. You can hold a lot of gear with this yak. I put most everything in dry bags and there is a lot of up top and down below storage. I love kayak camping with this yak. The yak glides very easily across the water with weight in it.

I am giving it 8 stars for the following reasons: I do not like the "shark gill" foot braces. I much more prefer the adjustable foot pegs. The seat at least for me was not going to do the job for sitting long periods in the yak. My center deck hatch absolutely failed. The threads would jam and I needed I to really pry to get the hatch open. Then the hatch ring failed. I just sealed the hatch shut and mounted my Ram ball on the lid. I didn't use it anyways. I think the carry handles need to be more robust and durable. The yak is heavy.

Overall, I have been very pleased with the Angler 144. With the few things I don't like about it, there was MUCH more that I do like. After a season on the water, I have researched kayaks extensively and found that there isn't really one kayak that fits all of my needs without modification so I may just be too critical of this one, LOL. I have a friend that runs nothing but SOTs (he has a Jackson, Wilderness, and Native Watercraft) and he was impressed with the Future Beach for its performance.

I Purchased mine 4 years...

I Purchased mine 4 years ago for about $480. This yak rocks! It doesn't have all the bells and whistles as some newer and pricier yaks, but she's definitely a keeper.
The balance of stability, swiftness, and comfort is perfect.

Track Record:
50+ Outings in the Chesapeake Bay under all weather conditions. Shes never flipped. I've put the bow through some waves and wake 1-4ft and purposely flipped it to practice re entry. It leaks very minimally.
I can carefully get my hands to the tip of the stern and bow on he water when necessary.
I weigh 180 and carry up to 100+ lbs of gear, no problems. In calm water one can stand on it carefully.

It's very durable, I drag it over rocks, logs, pavement, etc. ouch:( bad habit
It survived my 140lb ex-girlfrind sitting in the stern through mild white water on a 5hr booze cruise down a river (Potomac River)
It easily stowed my current girlfriend on the stern down a sportier river (Gunpowder River).

Cons:
Handles break- for a yak of this weight the handles should be stronger.
Under my seat, the hull has deformed- probably due to an abusive owner.

Its a great boat. I would buy it all over again.

Angler 144. Fished in the...

Angler 144. Fished in the U.P. of MI and in the Gulf of Mexico. Best deal for the money. Stable. I like them so much I bought 2. Hoping to land a shark this summer. Plenty of storage. Cooler/bait bucket fits right in the back. Two rod holders in the rear. One adjustable rod holder in the front. Two cup holder spots.

Save your money, you don't need one of the $1200.00 ones, this one is the best bang for the buck. You can sit in just about any position, my cousin stands in his and fishes. Ultra-stable. Just typing about it makes me want to go fishing! 12 feet long, double hull type. 57 lbs. I did buy the extra padded seat for both .

Bottom line save the extra $600 and buy the wife something nice or a new rod and reel.

I purchased a Angler 144...

I purchased a Angler 144 from a Dunams store to use for fishing. Tried it out on a lake near my house with great results. The handling seemed to work great, hull design was as described with regards to tracking straight and having good man over ability. This sit on top has a lot of standard options that will work great for my grandson and myself.