Pocket Canyon Reviews

Read reviews for the Pocket Canyon by Esquif Canoes as submitted by your fellow paddlers. All of the reviews are created and written by paddlers like you, so be sure to submit your own review and be part of the community!

A Nimble Whitewater Boat That Can also Straight Line Very Well and With Decent Speed

After 2 Knee replacements I had decided to sell my canoes (a 15ft and 17ft Nova Craft Prospector) and get a kayak. I had lots of mileage in both types of crafts but since I could no longer kneel while paddling I thought I would use only kayaks for the rest of my paddling years. It didn't take me but a few months to realize i was a canoeist at heart so I talked my wife into letting me sell the yak and get back into canoes. I was lucky enough to find 2 Royalex Canoes at Rutabaga in Madison, WI. They had a Nova Craft 15ft Prospector and a 14.5ft Esquif Pocket Canyon. I had already owned the Nova Craft but I thought that if the Pocket Canyon could track ok with a good J-stroke then it would be a more versatile boat since its whitewater performance was already well known. I took the Pocket Canyon for a test run and it did everything quite well. I have had it for almost a year now and I love the boat. I paddle it always from the seated position and find it to be plenty fast for a whitewater boat and a very good performer when maneuvering through narrow tricky places. I paddle it mostly solo (sitting in the bow seat with stern seat forward) but it also handles fine when paddling tandem. This boat is a lot of fun even for a 71yo geezer.

I just finished a trip...

I just finished a trip down the John Day River in this new model by Esquif. It is a shorter version of the Canyon and, being a decked boater, I wanted a shorter boat.

The Pocket Canyon is a fine solo tripping boat. It is dry, very maneuverable, and fast. You can easily carry gear for a week or more (if you leave the kitchen sink at home). The boat is set up for tandem paddling, and would do fine in this regard, also. I used flotation, but without this, it would carry gear for two easily.

On the negative side, I found the seats of the Pocket Canyon to be very uncomfortable. Otherwise, it is very well made as is typical for Esquif, and attractive.
Highly recommended.