Voyager

by Dimension

This is a fat, extremely stable boat. I traditionally enjoy trying…

This is a fat, extremely stable boat. I traditionally enjoy trying to ride the wakes of large power craft when real (if inexperienced) kayakers are holding on for dear life. Even so, a couple of years ago, two relative novices, one a 35 y.o. male, the other a 53 y.o. alleged male, each paddling this boat with the cheapest recreational paddles, entered a race on a lake, expecting to finish the next day. However, one of us finished the five mile race in a few seconds over an hour, and the old guy finished about five minutes later. The conditions were windy and choppy and we did much better going into the wind than with the wind at our backs (I'm not sure how you describe these conditions in sailor talk.). Whatever. This is a great recreational boat that will go much faster than you think it will, but it is not a racer and will act as though you are dragging an anchor if you have a strong wind at your back.

Dimension Voyager is stable, EXTREMELY comfortable, and faster than most sit-on-tops and for $529 you can't beat it. It is a dry ride with no scupper holes. There is a big hatch for plenty of storage and front/rear grab loops and bungies. There are also handles on each side. Tracking isn't a problem.

The hull is not as thick as Dagger or Perception kayaks so if oyster beds are a concern I wouldn't recommend it. However a thicker hull means more weight.