Altura Reviews

Read reviews for the Altura by Current Designs as submitted by your fellow paddlers. All of the reviews are created and written by paddlers like you, so be sure to submit your own review and be part of the community!

I just bought this boat...

I just bought this boat and I am in love with it so far. I was actually in the market for a "barge-like" SOT for work purposes and stumbled onto this one by accident, as is often the case :) .

I am 6'2, 235, but this boat is VERY stable, having a 31" beam. But the length and the material (kevlar/composite) make for a boat that is far speedier than one expects from something this wide. Paddles effortlessly and turns easier than I had expected, too. Tracks straight, even without the rudder, but I got it with the rudder because I plan to use it on Lake Superior, where wind and waves can play havoc with any plan to paddle in a straight line.

This is my first SOT and I hope to use it as a fishing platform. I got it at a $500 discount because it was supposedly "blemished" and then repaired at the factory, but darned if I can find where - looks perfect to me. CD is supposedly not making these anymore because I guess they didn't sell well with the SOT fishing crowd due to the price ($1600-$1800). I guess I can understand that, given the prices of some of the very good rotomolded fishing yaks out there, but I think this has to be paddled to be appreciated.

I demoed quite a few SOT's and found nothing that had both this kind of speed AND stability. I think CD is making a mistake to get rid of it, as it's a good "SOT transition" boat for someone like me: used to a traditional kayak and considering an SOT, but not enamored with the plastic boats.

I tried CD's Kestrel and Zone SOT's: the former was too small and didn't have the gear/weight capacity I wanted, while the latter was less stable and I don't think it would be as easy to fish from. Still a few of these out there "discontinued" boats and I encourage anyone looking for a fast and stable SOT to check 'em out.