Nunavut

by Clearwater Design

The Nunavut tandem Kayak by Clearwater Design is a nicely priced Tandem…

The Nunavut tandem Kayak by Clearwater Design is a nicely priced Tandem with features appropriate to its price range. We were attracted to it because it was 16' instead of the more common 14' designs, which did make it move faster. It also gives the kayak more storage room. There is a dry compartment in the back which stayed dry, and the front is ready for a floatation bag. The seats are low profile and were plastic ( plastic boat as well ), with a padded cover. Backrest swivels, and comes with an inflatable lumbar support. Both work well. With two people in the boat it tracks good and straight - the boat has no skeg or rudder. Single person in the back will have the nose wiggle back and forth if paddling hard, but still easy to keep your direction without correcting. Cockpit is one large open area for both people. A larger person should sit in back, as the open in the space between the seat the end of the front opening is smaller.

The adjustable foot pegs could be larger, but then they might also get in the way.

All in all, a stable fairly long tandem, with good storage. It would need to be even longer, which perhaps would make it even harder to cartop to be faster, so its of moderate speed only.

My partner and I both agree it was a great starter boat. We have since upgraded to a Hobie Mirage Tandem to get the extra speed, but we lost some of the storage of the Nunavut.

I was in the market for a tandem recreational kayak since the…

I was in the market for a tandem recreational kayak since the beginning of the summer so I could bring the kids along for short runs... The kayak I would choose needed to be a model of flexibility... able to carry some stuff and myself if I went out alone... or with two kids... or with the wife... Tall order??? Not for the Nunavut!!! Very stable, great tracking... even more so with the removable skeg, loads of space to bring gear along, great rear bulkhead and amazing speed for this type of 'yak... I've tried half a dozen of them before finally getting this one... no regret whatsoever!!! The price, quality, performance, confort and fun equation was more than filled out!!! If you're looking for familly fun at a good price and the possibility to go out on your own with something solid... take a serious look at the Nunavut!!