Mill Creek 13 Kit Reviews

See all reviews for Chesapeake Light Craft
  • $1,049 MSRP

Read reviews for the Mill Creek 13 Kit by Chesapeake Light Craft as submitted by your fellow paddlers. All of the reviews are created and written by paddlers like you, so be sure to submit your own review and be part of the community!

This novice paddler likes...

This novice paddler likes the Mill Creek 13 a lot. I built it from plans provided by CLC, but kits are available too. It is an open cockpit kayak best suited to protected waters. It tracks very well for such a relatively short boat. (13 feet) It is very fast for someone used to canoes. It was a little tippy at first for me, a novice, but secondary stability is amazing. At first, I wouild lean it as far as I would dare, expecting it to flip, but I soon learned that it can be leaned ridiculously far before it will flip. But water is threatening to come into the cockpit at that point anyway. In calm water tests, I was able to climb back into the cockpit without a paddlefloat to aid me.

This is a fun, all around kayak. I'm 6'3" and it fits me fine. Kids who have paddled it haven't had any trouble either. I didn't like the wooden seat that CLC provides, so I made one out of minicell foam. I've only paddled it in calm water with light to medium winds, so can't comment on any other conditions.

The Mill Creek 13 is a s&g...

The Mill Creek 13 is a s&g recreational kayak. Construction is simple requiring simple tools and skills, the manuals could use some improvement. The 13 is a nice little kayak because the option of sliding fore/aft enables one to manage in a lot of different conditions, the bottom panel is just narrow enough to allow some leaning/wave handling yet still is easy to step into at shore. It'll pound a bit in choppy water. Good simple boat.