Beluga

by Boreal Design

The Beluga is a composite tandem that ensures ease and confidence from the first strokes of your paddle. This kayak combines stability and performance while capable of reaching high cruising speeds with minimal effort. A moderate rocker coupled with a larger rudder make the Beluga easy to turn. Large cockpits offer ample room for the legs and feet.  The cockpits are spaced sufficiently apart, allowing the paddlers to paddle at their own speed without the risk of accidental collision between paddles. This makes the Beluga ideally suited for a pair of paddlers with mixed abilities, families with young children or a long expedition needing high volume of storage and displacement.

Solid boat for two

We went on a couples paddling trip around an island in Baja Mexico and my wife and I were in the Beluga for the week. The boat is huge! It is very stable, lots of storage space, maneuvers well (well, considering its length!) easy to enter and exit and is a fearless boat that inspires confidence even in rough conditions with wind, rain and big waves. My wife was not a skilled or confident paddler but really enjoyed our trip since the kayak was comfortable and stable.

Since that trip, we happened to find a used Beluga back home and instantly picked it up. We have since done several padding trips with it in Labrador, Newfoundland, northern Ontario/Quebec, Florida and even Texas. It is also great to take the kids in to get them comfortable with kayaking. Beluga is an unstoppable force on the water - once she gets going she just plows through waves and quickly leaves the pack behind.

The size, while great on the water, makes it difficult to transport. I have had it on my Subaru Outback and on my F150 and it is a bugger to get it on and off. My wife is no lightweight at 6' tall but she always groans and struggles with helping load or unload. The boat is also very wide, again it makes it stable but it is not uncommon to bang your knuckles on the sides of the boat while paddling, especially for smaller paddlers (like my kids). The length can make maneuvering around obstacles (like rocks or in caves) a challenge and it needs a wide radius for turning around obviously.

The build quality is top notch, I think my kids will inherit this kayak and maybe their kids too.

I have the Beluga fiberglass 2 person 21' kayak. It is a…

I have the Beluga fiberglass 2 person 21' kayak. It is a well built craft and easy to maneuver, excellent tracking and while paddling you don't hit your partner with the paddle.

Light (78 lbs.) fast tandem. Rudder setup is easy to adjust…

Light (78 lbs.) fast tandem. Rudder setup is easy to adjust and quite necessary as on all doubles. Central storage area is not bulkheaded off. While this makes for less wieght, it admits a ton of water in a capsize. A block of syrofoam comprising 1-5/8 cu/ft can be inserted through the commodious hatch to provide additional flotation. Craftmanship is excellent. Hatches are watertight and ride in waves to 3 feet is relatively dry.