Great Bear 14'0" Reviews

• $1,999 MSRP

Read reviews for the Great Bear 14'0" by Boardworks as submitted by your fellow paddlers. All of the reviews are created and written by paddlers like you, so be sure to submit your own review and be part of the community!

Great Bear is a Great Board for My Local Environment

The Great Bear is my first paddleboard. I made the purchase as a very inexperienced stand up paddler. But, I have lots of experience in kayaks, and am relatively athletic. When I started writing to sales reps (from several manufacturers), and talked to retail sales folks, everyone tried to sell me a smaller, more all around board. I think they felt that the characteristics of the boards I was interested in were only suitable for more advanced paddlers. However, I am very pleased that I stuck to my guns. Given the conditions in the salt waters I will be paddling (Port Townsend Bay, the Straits of Juan de Fuca, and possible some exposed Pacific coast), and what I want to use the board or (day long adventures, overnights, fishing adventures and hauling crab pots), I can't think of a better board. Sure, I could have bought 3 boards. One for fishing and crabbing, one for exercise and speed, and one for overnighting. But I only wanted one board. The Great Bear seems to be a great fit so far.

The following comments are coming from a very inexperienced stand up paddler. I think I probably had about 4 hours on a stand up paddleboard before I purchased the Great Bear. So, they may be taken with a grain of salt.

I have been paddling a 5.5 mile run off of North Beach a couple times a week on the Great Bear since I bought it. The last time I did the run, my GPS says I am averaging 3.43 mph. There are tide currents along this section of the Straits, so sometimes they are pushing me, and sometimes they are slowing me down. There are also times when there are very small swells and light winds. The board is not as responsive as another 14' foot board that a friend paddles. But when I have the wind and tide at my back, the Great Bear does much better with handling small waves than his. I wouldn't consider trading. The rockered bow and stern are a definite plus for these partially exposed waters.

One day, I paddled a 4.5 mile run with my dog. She weighs about 45 pounds. Can't say that she enjoyed sitting still, but she did. The board rode really well with the extra weight. I noticed the weight of the dog, but still was able to move along nicely. I have not purchased a crab license for this season, because it was late in the season when I bought the Great Bear, but I am hoping to use if for dropping and pulling a couple of crab pots when crabbing season opens next year. It is not going to be an ideal crabbing board, but I am pretty sure it will work. I will likely make a forward deck pad to protect the bamboo deck from being scratched by crab pots.

Within the month, I plan to do an overnighter, just to see how the board handles gear. I will camp at a place I have kayaked to, so I am familiar with the area. It is a salt water trip, with relatively narrow channels. The water is quite protected, however, there are places in which the currents can be quite strong. So, as I did when I was kayaking, I will plan the trip to run with the tides. I am not anticipating any challenges. If the Great Bear passes that test, I will likely try to do some overnighting in the San Juans.

Can't wait to get out on the board again tomorrow. Tomorrow, I plan to cross Port Townsend Bay. This will be the first time I ventured more than a half mile from shore. The challenges of Port Townsend Bay are mostly (very annoying) small boat wake. I have found that when I hit these small steep chops, the board really slows down. I do much better if I drop to my knees and just plow through the chop, and then stand up again once the wake has passed under me.

All in all, I am very happy with the board. Of course, I don't have too much to compare it to. I still wonder if there is a better boat out there for me. But I am pretty sure it would take three different boats to meet my needs more completely. As I gain more experience, and my paddling technique improves, I will likely have a better and bigger perspective.

This is an incredible...

This is an incredible board for overnight, multi day touring. It has incredible stability, can handle any sea state and can carry a huge amount of weight. It's also one of the best looking boards on the water and $20 from the purchase of each board goes to the Standup4Greatbear Society and the protection of the Great Bear Rainforest. Pros - stability - durability - graphics - front and rear tie downs nose rocker lift sup handle Cons - deck pad could go right to the tail - weight Usage - Ocean touring - downwinding - multi day ocean expeditions

The Great Bear is GREAT! I...

The Great Bear is GREAT! I got this board planning on a long expedition paddle and to be honest I had my worries about speed none about stability of course. After several long training paddles I quickly stopped worrying. For a big board it really glides well cutting through chop with ease. Yeah... I'm not as fast on it as I am on my Eradicator but the difference is small specially when weighed against the energy I save by not having to constantly work on balancing. I have also done test paddles with camping gear on board. Having 2 bungee areas to store gear at is very helpful when distributing the weight. Pros The size! It is perfect for touring and expeditions. The width and volume give you plenty of confidence to pack on the gear and tackle any condition. The board is beautiful; the bamboo deck and white rails make the red and black really stand out. The great bear graphics are great to stare at when you start to get tired and are looking for some strength to finish the paddle. Cons I wish the front bungee area was set more forward on the deck. Usage Touring, expedition, leisure paddle with kids or pets on board.

I absolutely love this...

I absolutely love this board. It is great in choppy water and tracks very well and makes for an effective touring and expedition board. The lift handle makes it comfortable to carry. There are a variety of lash points for tying down dry bags or other items.Plus the board is beautiful! Pros the lift handle tracking ability stability look Cons the deck back could go a bit further back Usage touring and expedition stable enough you could do yoga