VooDoo Bent shaft paddle

by Bell Canoe Works

I was a BWCA guide for two summers and the Voodoo bent…

I was a BWCA guide for two summers and the Voodoo bent shaft was my paddle! The tip of this paddle must be made from pure glory because I have beat and battered this paddle and left nothing more than a few scratches and maybe a 1/8 inch chip in the tip.

I love the feel of the large egg shaped grip and the oval shaft (very comfortable for paddling all day). I have probably give this paddle three life times worth of use and except for a few scratches and dents in the shaft it looks like the day I bought it from Piragis.

I have to mention it is a bit pricey but after breaking three BB specials, it doesn't look quite so bad. I wish I would have just bit the bullet and bought this paddle first.

This paddle, made for Bell by Mitchell, is very sweet to use…

This paddle, made for Bell by Mitchell, is very sweet to use. I recently bought one before heading into the BWCA, and became more pleased with every stroke I took. The paddle is light for wood, has a strong catch, and is very quiet due to the sharp edges. I thought I would be modifying the grip shape, but it turned out to be quite comfortable (but it did need additional applications of oil). The only downside I see is the softness of the cedar shaft: It collected a number of dings during paddling & portaging.