Prodigy

by Bell Canoe Works

I've had my Prodigy for 3 years and I've paddle up to…

I've had my Prodigy for 3 years and I've paddle up to Class II+ whitewater with it. The Prodigy does not have high initial stability but secondary stability is excellent and it fosters a high degree of confidence. The boat is also very responsive and dry. It's glide is somewhat better than most playboats but it still requires constant correction. I have problems getting a consistent carve with the Prodigy. Though I've paddled big waters with it, the Prodigy shines best in medium to small rivers.

To put some reviews of this canoe (some guys wrote the Prodigy…

To put some reviews of this canoe (some guys wrote the Prodigy is running pretty wet) into perspective: I'm 5'5" and 145 lbs. I found the Prodigy a very dry ride even through 4 ft wavetrains. Installed the pedestreal according to Bob Foote's specs and although I installed twin pumps right away, so far I got to use them only with rolling sessions in the pool. The canoe responds extraordinary to carving turns and I have yet to find an eddy where I really need my paddle: mostly I'm able to eddy in and out with my butt.
Initial stability is so/so but final is outstanding. The material seems somewhat soft compared to Esquifs or (of course) the older Daggers or Mohawks - that's why my Bell is only getting an 8 out of 10 points.
Performance wise I would give her a 12....one of the fastes playboats one can own