US-1400 Rack

by Barrecrafters

The lakes and the rivers of the Adirondacks are phenomenal kayaking grounds…

The lakes and the rivers of the Adirondacks are phenomenal kayaking grounds and this kayak excels for three to four day camping trips. It is stable, light in for its class but durable enough for the punishment of wind, waves, beaver dams and granite rocks often encountered.

Its sufficiently large enough to hold all my supplies, versatile enough for open water day trips to eloquently cross lakes quickly while still being able to navigate the twisty low flow of a beaver river like the Oswegotchie which has miles of 180 degree switchbacks.

I love polyethylene boats because they are so tough taking the sand, beaver dams and rocks for years, showing little. Because Im not worried about damage to the kayak Im more engaged in experiencing my trip not worried about about every bump, scratch or branch.

I really like the bow and stern hatch covers provide a simple but effective means for covering and keeping gear dry even in rough windy conditions. It keeps the boat dry during transport and are easily removed or replaced in wind, rain hot or cold. The seats, bulkheads and foot braces just work,simple but effective. I especially like the adjustability of the seat with lumbar support making a six hour paddle less impacting.

Ive got several kayaks this one is my go to boat! It is quick and agile for a day paddle, a beaver dam warrier easy to load with my gear and easy on my back during long days out. It is not only my most versatile weekend craft, it truly is, "better living through plastic".

After much on-line research I purchased the Barrecrafters US-1400 Multi-Use Bar Rack and US-217 Deluxe Canoe Carrier. The rack and carrier are solid and secure. The rack comes with key locks to prevent theft. The canoe carrier consists of gunwale supports which attach to the bar rack, and includes a ratchet system with non-stretch straps.

I also purchased the "Maine Roll On" from Maine Outdoor Products, which is a big help in putting my canoe on and off the rack without the need for assistance. I have also posted a review of that product.